PDA

View Full Version : Sandstorm has got to stop

markn911
02/02/2007, 05:11 PM
I was hoping you might be be able to recommend a coarse substrate to add to my existing sandbed...I just can't take looking at sand swirling all over any longer!!

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Mark

Randy1
02/02/2007, 05:28 PM
me too, along for the ride.

jdieck
02/02/2007, 05:33 PM
How long has the bed been in place?, usually once bacteria covers the grains it is easier to keep it in place.
Have you have a lot of flow?
The issue is that although you add larger grained sand the small will eventually come to the surface again.
If you like you can add 1/4 to 1/2" of Seafloor special grade Caribsea. If your sand bed and tank is already cycled I would recommend you to use Aragalive version of it that contains live bacteria.

dfs/la2
02/02/2007, 05:47 PM
markn911,

Thank you for your post. We would be pleased to assist you in the selection of your gravel. In order to give our best recommendation, may we please gather the following information? Is your aquarium freshwater or saltwater? Are you housing any sand sifting specimens? What type of filtration do you have? Are you using powerheads? And also as jdieck asked, how long has the bed been in place?

You may respond to this forum, or PM us, e-mail us at techsupport@drsfostersmith.com or call our Technical Support Department 800-562-7169. We look forward to hearing from you.

Pat S.
LiveAquaria
Drs. Foster and Smith

markn911
02/03/2007, 09:14 AM
Thanks for the quick replies!!

The sand bed has been place for about 2 years and I have a 75 gallon reef set up. Flow is provided by the return along with a Tunze stream 6000 on a controller. It is set for full power alternating with about half power.

I do have snails to help keep the sand bed clean but nothing that really kicks up the sand to make my tank look like a desert in the middle of a bad wind storm. As far as filtration goes I have about 120 to 150 lbs of live rock and run phosban full time.

Thanks again,

Mark

dfs/la2
02/03/2007, 10:34 AM
markn911,

Thank you for your post. A couple different substrates you could use in your aquarium would be the Bermuda Pink Sand, which is 2-4 mm size and Florida Crushed Coral, which is 1-10 micron size. These being mixed in to your existing sand bed should help stop the sand storm. The Bermuda Pink Sand and the Florida Crushed Coral can be found at the following links. http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=7318&N=2004+113554 http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=7322&N=2004+113554

Sincerely,

Gwen S.
Drs. Foster and Smith
LiveAquaria

Randy1
02/03/2007, 03:14 PM
What's the shipping cost per/bag?

dfs/la2
02/03/2007, 04:14 PM
Randy1,

Thank you for your post. The shipping cost for the Bermuda Pink Sand or the Florida Crushed Coral will depend on the total cost of the order. Standard ground shipping charges range from $9.99 up to $17.99. Sand substrates are oversized/heavy items and may require additional shipping fees for air services.

If we can be of additional assistance, please feel free to contact our LiveAquaria Department at 1-800-334-3699, via email at customerservice@liveaquaria.com, or PM us.

Sincerely,

Gwen S.
Drs. Foster and Smith
LiveAquaria

Hobster
02/06/2007, 09:28 AM
Just place an order with FS by phone. I must say that your customer reps have to be the nicest most efficent folks to order from.:)

OOPs meant to put as a new thread.