PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for a sump/fuge size

Embowe
02/02/2007, 07:46 PM
I am looking to start making my own sump/fuge...I have a 38 gallon display tank and was thinking of using a 20long as my sump/fuge...the dimentions are 30x12.5x13...would that be a sufficent size? The one other thing I am still unsure of is what sizes to make each of the chambes...ie: the drain/skimmer, return,fuge...I was thinking 12" for the fuge, and just divide the remaining 18" equally for the drain and the return...if anyone has any better idea's PLEASE let me know...I am prolly going to pickup the 20gallon tank tommorrow

Embowe
02/03/2007, 07:45 AM
ok..I also figured out that I am going to use a magdrive rated for 350gph as my return...that would be a little less than 10x turnover rate...that would be fine as far I as I have read...so what size bulkhead would I need for that size return pump...

jp4whln12
02/03/2007, 07:57 AM
Im using a 20L for my 55 and it works great. I have the first section as my overflow, the middle is my fuge and the last is the return. One thing to think about when making your return, that is going to be where you see water loss/evaporation. I have to add water to my tank every other day or so because it get's low and the pump will run dry.
As for the bulkhead are you using the mag inside the sump or drilling for the return so it is outside? Mine sets inside and i just ran PVC up and then over the tank for a return. No bulkhead needed.

Embowe
02/03/2007, 08:09 AM
well..I am still undecided if I want to use a overflow or just drill the tank...if I drill it for a overflow I am obiviously going to drill it for a return as well....I am just so damn confused as to what steps I need to take in what order..lol

jp4whln12
02/03/2007, 11:13 AM
I have a CPR over flow with a 1 inch bulkhead. Im sure that if you wanted to drill your tank it would need a 1" bulkhead too.