PDA

View Full Version : Issues with my Oceanic Bio 14 gallon

Octoberfest
02/02/2007, 08:55 PM
For some reason my fans keep giving me problems. It's like they weren't spaced far enough apart from the "grill" and actually rub on it when they are running.

I pulled of the acrylic shield over the lights, the light reflector off the hood and pulled the fans off. I didn't see any damage and I put them back in the canopy. I tightened them up and when I turned them on they were even worse. I took it off again and didn't tighten them up all the way and they ended up working fine, no issues. Next day I turned them on and again they were hitting. Out of frustration I smacked the canopy and they were fine, now I haven't had any issues since...lol.

Anyone else have this problem?

GobyJohnKenobi
02/02/2007, 10:37 PM
If I open and close the canopy on my 8 with the fans running, one of them will start making a buzzing sound sometimes.

I just turn them off and then back on and it stops.

I'm pretty sure the fans must have some cheap bearings.

smartang22
02/05/2007, 04:04 PM
I am also having trouble with the fans in my 14 gallon BioCube. Everytime I open the hood with the lights/fans on it starts making a loud buzzing noise. I turn it off and on again and it goes away. Now it seems that when the fan is running at normal times it is a little louder than what is was. I have only had the tank for 2 weeks now. Before it was a nice quite hum, and now I wonder if this is just going to progressively get worse.

How can I fix this problem? I don't like the idea of having to turn the switch on and off every time I want to open the hood. I could try and smack the lid, but with my luck the stand will fall apart and the tank will crack! This is my first time with saltwater so I want everything to go right.

Has anyone talked to Oceanic about this? Thanks!
:eek2:

Octoberfest
02/05/2007, 04:24 PM
I'm going to send them an email right now

longfellow
02/05/2007, 07:16 PM
I guess I am the lucky one. So far no problem yet.

Octoberfest
02/05/2007, 07:23 PM
I pulled the fan back off and put a couple of washers in there between the fan and the housing and it works fine now.

smartang22
02/06/2007, 10:33 AM
So last night I went to look at the fan and it was still making the loud noise when I opened the lid. I then laughed and tried smacking the top, but only gently. Nothing happened. So I took a hard, but not too hard whack at it and it stopped!!!!! Too weird!!

Thanks for the great ideas. I hope this issue just goes away!!

gvidon
02/06/2007, 07:35 PM
The fans are cheap. I'm on my second set. Soon after the buzzing began they stopped working though Oceanic will send you replacements.

lowcountry1
02/06/2007, 10:23 PM
Same thing with my 12g Aquapod...when I open the hood they start buzzing and whining...when I shut it stops. It usually seems to be when I first turn them on and lift the hood though...if its been running for awhile I dont notice it

Octoberfest
03/15/2007, 06:36 AM
So I just got an email back from Oceanic, which I wasn't too happy about....here's what it said.

"Dear Josh,

If you pick up a set of those little round felt pads that you put on the
bottom of lamps for padding, and with the fan unscrewed and off of its
mount, place a piece over each screw hole. Place the fan back down on
the fan mounts and screw them back down. The fan/fans should become very
quiet. We have found that the fan vibration resonates thru the canopy
when the fan is plastic on plastic.

Regards,"

So if they know that there is a problem why dont' they fix it and recall our fans/canopies to fix it?

Who knows.

smartang22
03/15/2007, 07:01 AM
I agree. If I do any modifying to the BioCube it should be because I want to, not to fix a loud buzzing noise which I heard again last night for the first time in a couple weeks. Again I quick smack to the top cured it. I hope this remains sporadic and I don't have to head to the craft store. Good luck!

Octoberfest
03/15/2007, 07:05 AM
I emailed them back asking why they aren't attempting to fix it