PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on designing a fail safe Auto top of & salt mixing mechanism

lapizzaro
02/03/2007, 08:51 AM
I need advice on designing a Fail Safe (almost) auto top off/salt mixing with Event Triggers

I would like to design an auto top off and salt water mechanism for my system . This system will be in my garage and I want to feed the RO/DI filter from the cold water line going into the house water heater (still not sure how)

Currently I have the following
a) 2 Brute trash cans – one for RO and one for mixing salt
b) a 125 gallon per day RO/DI filter with no flow restrictor
c) A 100 gallon sump
d) A pump. (Mag 9.5 ) and a shatter proof on a timer for the Salt mix container and a powerhead on a timer for my RO container
( Please note the water in the trash cans will never go below a
predetermined level so that the pump/powerhead/heater will always be able to run)
e) I will be using this dosing pump http://www.reefdosingpumps.com/products/sentry.html

I would like to get 6 float valves 2 each for the RO reservoir, the Salt Mix Reservoir and the sump and another timer to control the RO unit

My goal is
a) Use one RO/DI filter to fill both reservoirs ( I need advise here)
b) for the sump to get a specific amount of RO water per day controlled by the evaporation
c) The RO water should not flow into the reservoir when the sump is being filled with water i.e. RO unit should not flow when the dosing pump is on
d) I would pump and powerhead to mix the salt daily at a specific time so at the end of the week I have saltwater for weekly water changes (I will put in the salt and do the actual water change manually )

So my event triggers are the following
a) Dosing pump moves water into the sump when BOTH Sump float switches are ON AND when the RO/DI filter is not flowing water AND for a specific time period
b) The RO/DI filter will fill the RO reservoir sump when BOTH Ro/DI Reservoir float switches are ON AND when the Dosing Pump is not flowing water AND for a specific time period e.g. 12 am -6 am
c) The RO/DI filter sump when BOTH Salt reservoir float switches are ON AND a specific time period

Does my logic work and do I need any other parts especially for the RO/DI unit feeding 2 containers? Thanks in advance

jtreath
02/03/2007, 09:55 PM
Or.. you could just use 2 5 Gallon Buckets with an alarm clock belted to your hip to remind you to mix them up.

Seriously though.. your proposed set-up sounds really interesting and I am tagging along to see what develops for ideas.

lapizzaro
02/03/2007, 10:36 PM
I got some PMs on the need for float switches in serial as opposed to float valves