PDA

View Full Version : saw a puff of smoke?

JVR1
02/03/2007, 12:40 PM
so i was looking at the tank today... more specifically one little hole/cave with an opening about half the size of a pencil end.. anyway, this stream of white stuff (almost like someone was smoking came out in a stream that was about 2-3 inches while it disappated into the water.. i couldn't see into the hole, anyone know what might have caused it?

i've had the tank for about a year and a half.. but i did take out all the livestock a couple months ago since i had no time to take care of it properly.. i did leave the pumps cycling..

ionredline0260
02/03/2007, 12:50 PM
tagging along for this, I saw the same thing after aranging some LR one day. mine was a ring of smoke.

danch
02/03/2007, 12:54 PM
Probably some little critter spawning. They like to smoke after (just kidding)

virginiadiver69
02/03/2007, 01:08 PM
Ya know...I just added my first batch of live rock to cure in a new tank. When I had the pumps shut down for cleaning I noticed the same thing. I first thought I was crazy but I saw the same thing on a different pile. I thought of spawning too...but on two separate piles at the same time? I then thought maybe the rock was leaching something and I could only see it with no circulation going. I was going to keep the fact that my rocks where smoking to myself because I did not want to get laughed of this board, But since JVR1 fessed up first I will let him/her take the heat.
:lol:
Oh well. If anybody knows please chime in.

SaltyDr
02/03/2007, 01:13 PM
I witnessed something similar once. Two spaghetti worms were mating - intertwined and moving all about and suddenly I saw this puff of smoke, which I presume was the release of sperm/eggs. It was pretty neat.

JVR1
02/03/2007, 01:38 PM
gee.. thanks virginiadiver... all i know is if i was smoking.. i'd share .. tug tug pass... :D :lolspin:

dcombs44
02/03/2007, 01:40 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9150062#post9150062 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by JVR1
tug tug pass... :D :lolspin:

I prefer...puff, puff.....give....

I would also say something is spawning. When I shut my pumps off, and turn them back on, I also will see my vermatid snails spew a bit into the tank. I would guess you're seeing something similar.

greenbean36191
02/03/2007, 04:26 PM
I thought of spawning too...but on two separate piles at the same time?
Well if you rely on your gametes meeting in the water with some from the same species it helps to release them at the same time. There are usually chemical cues released with the gametes that induce other memebers of the same or closely related species to start spawning when others do.

2farNorth
02/03/2007, 05:37 PM
I've seen Stomatella snails 'puff smoke' on occasion, they usually climb to high points, and release their 'stuff', usually a couple at the same time.... I know that surprised me when I first seen it.....

virginiadiver69
02/03/2007, 05:49 PM
Okay, now I am really curious. I mentioned that this is a new tank. I have no livestock to speak of in there, just about 20lbs of uncured live rock. I know this would amount to a guess but what could it be.
Forgive me because I am a newbie at this, But the thought of something actually living and multiplying in my tank is pretty cool!
I hope I don't turn into some kind of megalomaniac.:lol:

iamfor3
02/04/2007, 10:31 AM
I have little slugs in the live rock that blend in you cant see them
but when they get scared they shoot off a puff of smoke.

laserjim
02/04/2007, 10:35 AM
I ve seen my turbo snails blow a puff of smoke a couple times.I bet its not smoke.

FloridaPride
02/25/2007, 10:53 AM
my whole tank is doing this. first I noticed the smoke like stuff coming from a hole in the rock then a few minutes later another from a different rock and so forth and so on. Then one of my snails started doing it. I would really be interested in knowing what exactly is happening.....

ionredline0260
02/25/2007, 10:56 AM
Your live rock is on fire! better get it in some water? :D

Fiddler
02/25/2007, 12:13 PM
i sawe this when i first got my lr, from the same holes are these really long/strechy white worms