PDA

View Full Version : New tank lots of brown algae

jeffreykell
02/03/2007, 01:53 PM
I just set up my tank last week and today I have brown algae on the rock. Is there any thing I can do?? thanks for any help

jeff

reefnetworth
02/03/2007, 02:05 PM
its common for this to happen, theyre called Diatom's. a few hermits after your cycle is complete will clear it up. scarlet, and red legged are good at Diatom removal along with cerrith snails and Mexican turbo snails. but, the hermits do a better job, especially if placed directly on the problem areas. in a 110G i would suggest 40-50 total hermits, mixed. and 30-40 snails mixed. have a great weekend,
John...:smokin: :cool:

jeffreykell
02/03/2007, 02:18 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9150231#post9150231 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by reefnetworth
its common for this to happen, theyre called Diatom's. a few hermits after your cycle is complete will clear it up. scarlet, and red legged are good at Diatom removal along with cerrith snails and Mexican turbo snails. but, the hermits do a better job, especially if placed directly on the problem areas. in a 110G i would suggest 40-50 total hermits, mixed. and 30-40 snails mixed. have a great weekend,
John...:smokin: :cool:

Where is the best place online to get a clean up crew!

jeff

ionredline0260
02/03/2007, 02:30 PM
www.liveaquaria.com or www.saltwaterfish.com are two off the top of my head. saltwaterfish waves the shipping on all orders over $79 with a $10 box fee.

drummereef
02/03/2007, 03:20 PM
Diatom blooms are perfectly normal in newly established tanks as they cycle. You will mostl likely have a green hair algae bloom soon too. Leave well enough alone and let it go away on its own. Once the cycle has totally completed, you can add a cleanup crew. Personally I don't like keeping hermits and snails together. I have nassarius and ceriths for the sandbed and a few astreas for the glass.

jeffreykell
02/04/2007, 08:44 AM
Thank you for your help