PDA

View Full Version : 6100 cleaning

IBASSFSH
02/03/2007, 02:44 PM
I need to clean my 6100's as they do not seem to be putting out as much flow as they normally do. I have one of them soaking in a bucket of vinegar/water while running.

Has anyone ever used a household product called C.L.R. (calcium, lime remover)? If so were the results good? Any effect on the stream pumps?

rvitko
02/03/2007, 05:22 PM
It is best to stick to vinegar, stronger acids will cause the plastic to expand. It is not really perceptible but it causes hydrogen bonds to form and the dimensions change in miniscule proportions, it can be enough though to effect performance slightly.

IBASSFSH
02/03/2007, 07:10 PM
Thats what I currently doing. I have it running in vinegar and water. About 6 cups of vinegar to 3 gallons of water. Do you think the ratio should be stronger?

rvitko
02/04/2007, 09:49 AM
Yes, it will work as you have done it but it takes longer. Buy a gallon jug of white vinegar, it is much cheaper in volume, I just buy the store brand or generic but look for the higher percentage acidity, they usually offer 3% and 5%. I usually use it mixed 50/50 with water. If you want things really clean, after doing this soak and going over the pieces with a tooth brush you can put everything except the motor block in the dishwasher, just be sure it doesn't touch the heating coil in the washer and air dry is preffered. They come out looking new.

IBASSFSH
02/04/2007, 10:29 AM
All that hard coraline algae wiped right off this morning!! Looks new again, and has 70% more output!!