PDA

View Full Version : planted tank setup questions

ClamIAm
02/03/2007, 02:55 PM
So after my first try at seagrass didn't work out too well, I'm going to be setting up a tank this summer specifically for macroalgae and seagrass. Everything about the tank will be set up with this as the pirmary goal. The tank is actually a 100 gallon rubbermaid stock tank which may be plumbed into a larger tank as a pseudo-refugium. My questions are:
Would 300 watts of lighting be a good amount for this setup? If not, what would you reccomend?
For substrate, I plan on doing about 4", mud with some aragonite on top. Does this sound like it would be sufficient for the commonly available seagrasses?
Would you reccomend a higher or lower flow rate? I know for macroalgae low flow is better but I'm not clear on the preferences of seagrass.
Any other suggestions for the system are welcome. I won't be working on it until the summer as the tank currently houses a stingray which will be moving to a larger tank that needs to be set up first, so I'm still in the preliminary stages of figuring it out.

graveyardworm
02/03/2007, 03:17 PM
What depth will the water be in the 100g stock tank? I have one as a sump and they are pretty deep. What kind of lighting? My seagrass and macros really seem to enjoy alot of flow. I would go alittle deeper with the sand bed, atleast a good 6 inches.

I know for macroalgae low flow is better

I would disagree with this. My experience is that moderate even high flow seems to be prefered.

What are your intentions for future plumbing? I would highly recommend you throw away the stok bulkhead that comes with the tank, too many reports of leakage. I replaced mine with a 1 1/2 bulkhead, it took alittle modification of the tank, but its pretty simple. Here's a pic of mine with some plumbing.

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/44187100_1028.jpg

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/44187100_1020.jpg

ClamIAm
02/03/2007, 03:48 PM
The water will probably be 3/4 full in the tank, I was looking at a used 300 watt halide pendant at a store nearby but lighting has been one of my big questions on this setup. I siliconed the stock bulkhead thinking I was not going to use it when I first set this up a few years ago and have been running an overflow box which has caused much frustration over that time, so the plumbing is going to be completely redone. Also the stock bulkhead would be at least partially covered in sand anyways in this setup so I'd have had to do something differently anyways. The plumbing will depend on whether or not I include it in the same system as the larger tank.

graveyardworm
02/03/2007, 04:40 PM
Even though the bulkhead will be covered with sand it can still be used. On the inside you can run a drain abit horizontal then vertical to the desired water height. Then on the outside would be your return pump.

graveyardworm
02/03/2007, 04:41 PM
The 300 watt halide pendant sounds odd, what kind of bulbs are available for it? It would most likely be plenty of light.

ClamIAm
02/03/2007, 05:02 PM
I see what you mean about using the stock bulkhead, but I'm not sure how I'd avoid stuff from getting sucked into/ trapped against the opening if it were at the bottom. As far as lighting goes, you'd say 3-4 watts/gallon should be good? The light will probably be suspended a few feet above the tank.

graveyardworm
02/03/2007, 05:19 PM
The drain pipe in the stock tank would come up to the surface of the water, and would essentialy determine the depth of the water in the tank. A bulkhead screen should be able to be made to fit to keep large stuff from getting down in it.

Yep the 3-4 watts per g should be good plus the halide has good punch for driving the light deeper.

ClamIAm
02/03/2007, 05:47 PM
Cool, thanks for the help. Right now I'm just working on acquiring everything I need so that once the tank is ready to go I can get it all set up.

Samala
02/04/2007, 11:27 AM
Flow rate in planted aquariums tends to be modified to fit your other inhabitants. If they like high flow, use it, the plants will manage so long as they arent being blasted out of the sand. Its really the super slow or low flow situations that can be hard on the plants since epiphytic algae has a better chance of attaching to the blades and becoming a problem.

So with these rubbermaid tanks, can you look into the aquarium from a front panel of glass/acrylic? Or is it just a top-down perspective?

>Sarah

graveyardworm
02/04/2007, 11:53 AM
Just top down, the gray plastic tank I pictured earlier is the tank he's talking about.

ClamIAm
02/04/2007, 02:38 PM
Yah, unfortunately you can't look in, but it's a lot cheaper than 100 gallon tank. It will be interesting to see how a planted setup looks from the top-down perspective though

ClamIAm
02/06/2007, 08:17 PM
Just wondering, but when you say you reccomend high flow, about how many GPH do you think would be good for this setup?

graveyardworm
02/06/2007, 08:29 PM
Guessing 1500 - 2000 GPH would probably work pretty well, not including return pump flow.

Samala
02/06/2007, 09:20 PM
Considering overall tank size, I'd agree with David (who is giving you such excellent advice. I'm terrible with these large tank applications generally because of my sad lack of mechanical aptitude). :D

Given any thought to aeration/skimmers and such?

>Sarah

ClamIAm
02/06/2007, 11:14 PM
I picked up a free skimmer of some kind from my store which I have not yet been able to test but if it works I'll be putting it in whatever sort of sump I come up with. I was also considering building some kind of surge device but I'm not sure that it's really needed.

ClamIAm
03/03/2007, 03:49 PM
Do you think 4 96watt power compacts would be sufficient to light this? I recently found a used fixture and am considering buying it.