PDA

View Full Version : Any reason not to use this sand?

todd2000
02/03/2007, 09:07 PM
I had some sand in an old tank, and I took it out and dumped it in the backyard, and it sat there for a few months. Im starting a 10G nano, so I went and scooped up about 10Lbs of it, just to see. I had some leaves, and stuff in it, but I rinsed it out in a bucket like 10 times, and scooped all the crap out of it. It has been sitting in a bucket of water for 2 days, and I just tested the water, and there was no ammonia, nitrates, etc.... If I make sure it is clean, and rinse it a bunch more just to be sure, do you think it will be ok to start my tank with? BTW it is Carib-Sea Argonite sand.

I realize this sounds cheap, but I don't really want to spend $30, on a 30Lb bag of sand from the LFS especially when I only need 10Lbs.

alan214
02/03/2007, 09:39 PM
Normally I would never suggest using old sand but the way you have rinsed it out so well, you should be fine I think.

ambaratur
02/03/2007, 09:45 PM
Yea - that sand is expensive. I would rinse it more like you said and then use it.

The only thing that would make me think twice would be if you had used any lawn fertilizer or pesticides out there. If you haven't I bet you will be fine.

todd2000
02/03/2007, 09:51 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9153067#post9153067 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by alan214
Normally I would never suggest using old sand but the way you have rinsed it out so well, you should be fine I think.

Yeah it seems clean, and it doesn't smell at all, which I assume is good :). I just rinsed it 3 more times, is it normal for the water to be cloudy, and tan colored after mixing it up? Will that ever go away or am I wasting my time? Im gonna let it sit in the bucket again, and test it one more time tomorrow.

todd2000
02/03/2007, 09:52 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9153115#post9153115 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ambaratur
Yea - that sand is expensive. I would rinse it more like you said and then use it.

The only thing that would make me think twice would be if you had used any lawn fertilizer or pesticides out there. If you haven't I bet you will be fine.

The only thing might be some natural "fertillizers" if you catch my drift, but hey more ammonia for the cycle LOL.

edwing206
02/04/2007, 12:30 AM
what kinda water did you use to rinse it?

todd2000
02/04/2007, 09:03 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9154245#post9154245 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by edwing206
what kinda water did you use to rinse it?

Tap but im gonna rinse it in distilled before using it. Im using distilled for the tank, since it's only 10G, I will only need to buy a few gallons a week, so it should be cheap enough till I get an RO/DI.

As a side question is live sand worth it. Is there any really good reason why I should use live sand instead of this? I know it may speed up the cycle but thats the only reason I can think of. How long will it take the live rock to seed this sand and make it "live"?

King-Kong
02/04/2007, 10:30 AM
It all turns into live eventually. Dont buy that wet-sand-ina-bag. Waste of money.

benray4fun
02/04/2007, 10:46 AM
<ahref=showthread.php?s=&postid=9155881#pohst9155881 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by King-Kong
It all turns into live eventually. Dont buy that wet-sand-ina-bag. Waste of money.

My tank was in storage for two years, my sand just sat there, when I set it back up my sand was clumpy and lifeless.
I bought a few pounds to seed my sand from garf and my sand sifting goby gained imressive color immediately after sifting. The colors never went away and the entire tank took off with worms, mini-brittle stars, pods & many other things I didn't have that I sorely needed.

I don't know about a waste of money, this man sounds like a perfect candidate for some good live sand from a reputable place.
Best decision I've ever made..."twice."....:thumbsup:

kaihonu82
02/04/2007, 11:00 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9153149#post9153149 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by todd2000
Yis it normal for the water to be cloudy, and tan colored after mixing it up? Will that ever go away or am I wasting my time?

I use aragonite sand as well, and everytime i rinsed it off the water was tan and cloudy. After several rinsings the tan color slightly began to fade, but i put it in the tank anyways. It was mirky for a few hours but i left the pump off and everything settled. Now even when my sand sifter goes crazy through the sand, the water doesn't get mirky at all, just a little sandy which settles after he's calmed down.

todd2000
02/04/2007, 01:38 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9156036#post9156036 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by benray4fun
My tank was in storage for two years, my sand just sat there, when I set it back up my sand was clumpy and lifeless.
I bought a few pounds to seed my sand from garf and my sand sifting goby gained imressive color immediately after sifting. The colors never went away and the entire tank took off with worms, mini-brittle stars, pods & many other things I didn't have that I sorely needed.

I don't know about a waste of money, this man sounds like a perfect candidate for some good live sand from a reputable place.

Well theres no rush for that right? I can always get a little bit of live sand and add it anytime I want to right?

kaihonu82: Good to know the cloudyness is normal, I've never rinsed sand before since my last tank was just live sand. I was just making sure there wasn't anything in there that wasn't rinsed out yet, but i've rinsed it at least 15 times at this point, and twice with distilled, so I should be fine.

benray4fun
02/04/2007, 05:04 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9157324#post9157324 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by todd2000
Well theres no rush for that right? I can always get a little bit of live sand and add it anytime I want to right?

That depends on where you are in establishing the tank.
It should go in this order more or less...
sand, water, live rock, live sand & clean up crew, then live stock.

What I think king kong is refering to is sand that only has the bacteria on it and devoid of all other life and he's right..."not worth buying cause your live rock will give you that."

What you want are the critters, bacteria plus worms, mini-stars, pods, coraline algae, sponges, etc. You have to buy this type of sand full of life and it can be bought at www.garf.org or www.ipsf.com

It's about $5 a pound and five pounds should do you just fine, you won't regret it...:thumbsup:

King-Kong
02/04/2007, 05:21 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9156036#post9156036 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by benray4fun

I didnt mean all live sand was a waste. I meant the stuff they sell prebagged for $2/lb is a waste of money. It's a gimmick. Actual sand from an established tank is sure to be the "real" thing.

benray4fun
02/04/2007, 05:40 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9158863#post9158863 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by King-Kong
I didnt mean all live sand was a waste. I meant the stuff they sell prebagged for $2/lb is a waste of money. It's a gimmick. Actual sand from an established tank is sure to be the "real" thing.

I'm sure that's what you meant...:thumbsup: :D