PDA

View Full Version : Phosphate levels and algae blooms (fuge on the way)

NickBee
02/03/2007, 11:03 PM
In a few days to starting up my 10 gal fuge. Should have everything settled and running by next weekend to the point where I can add some macro.

Here’s the question. How can you “measure” the overall effectives of the fuge’s impact on the water quality? I’m currently testing for ammonia / nitrate / nitrite / ph / calc / alk. All are great expect for my alk and calcium being a bit low (separate post)

I‘ve read that adding macro can help control algae blooms by controlling nutrients and phosphate. We do get some blooms of brown algae and that’s part of our motivation to set up a fuge. Would it be a good idea to compare “before and after” phosphate readings as a sign of the fuge’s effectiveness? Or am I totally off with my grasp of a fuge’s impact.

Thanks!

jer77
02/03/2007, 11:28 PM
Technically to measure the effectiveness of nutrient export of the fuge, the growth of the macroalgae has to be harvested and dried and tested for the amount of nutrients it holds. But more subjectively, success can be measured by testing before and after for nitrates and phosphates. Also by looking to see if the macroalgae is growing will give a good hint whether it is working or not. Give the fuge about a month of growing macro for any noticable lowering of nutrients.

NickBee
02/03/2007, 11:45 PM
Thanks for the good info Jer (as always)! You’ve helped me justify the purchase of a Phosphate test kit :).