PDA

View Full Version : Putting athread on solid acrylic rod

douglass
02/03/2007, 10:04 PM
I was wondering if it is possible to thread acrylic so I can put a nylon nut and washer on the end. The rod would be 3/8".

chinaman4u
02/03/2007, 10:14 PM
I have never tried, but you could use a metal nut of equivalent thread size and heat it up then force the acrylic through the metal nut while twisting, let cool, and then remove the nut? I'm very cheap, so this is what I'd have done, instead of ....Otherwise I'm sure they have threading kits to do this.

Hop
02/03/2007, 11:42 PM
You should be able to find a die from the local hardware store for this task. I'm not sure what the PSI rating would be... You may have to play with the thread and pitch to find the best strength possible out of the rod.

Good Luck!

acdraindrps
02/04/2007, 12:09 AM
If you know how to use a tap and die set them you'll know how to do it. Simple as that.

BeanAnimal
02/04/2007, 07:39 AM
You will have to go 1/8 of a turn at a time... thread the die on a bit, then back it off, thread it on, back it off....

You will need some lubricant to help the process and keep the rod from chipping. This is the hard part. Most petrolium products will cause the acrlic to craze and fail. So water is likely your best bet.. maybe silicon spray? Ask Acrylics here at RC he would know.

You can get a DIE at the hardware store or sears.

Bean

Acrylics
02/04/2007, 09:17 AM
Only do it if it's cast rod, extruded rod is likely to chip too badly when threading IME. Use a 50:50 solution of Palmolive and water as lubricant. Only do a little at a time as Bean suggests to clear the chips.

HTH,
James

BeanAnimal
02/04/2007, 09:26 AM
hehe palmolive... 1001 uses.

Acrylics
02/04/2007, 09:32 AM
Yep, slippery, water soluble, and won't run too much - the perfect cutting oil for acrylic tank stuff :)

James

AcroSteve
02/04/2007, 03:01 PM
I use butcher block oil to lubricate when I am tapping acrylic. Mostly because I already had it on hand. It works well.