PDA

View Full Version : anyone used their ATO to flush skimmer Venturi?

chalowolf
02/03/2007, 10:25 PM
Thinking of a way to flush the salt deposits that clog my Euro Reef pump Venturi using my ATO , does anyone done something like this???
The problem is that you need a small amount of fresh water only at time, and my ATO pumps for a while until it fills the sump back up.

BigJPDC
02/04/2007, 07:21 AM
I've been after this one for a while now. I hate it that I have to pour a cup of tank water in the airline every other day when I see the water level up in the collection cup of my octo.

The challenge is getting the TO water flowing across the airline opening. In my sump they aren't near each other for starters. You'd have to lock down both sets of tubing so that the TO sprays the airline without impeding normal air sucking.

hope you come up with something cool,
jp

jman77
02/04/2007, 09:02 AM
When i go to fill the container ( about once a week ) that holds the ATO water ...i run about 2 gallons of RO water through the venturi.

My ATO water is mixed with lime ...so i can't feed the ATO water into the venturi

chalowolf
02/04/2007, 07:47 PM
BigJPDC are you using tank water? It is recommended to use freshwater to rinse, since salt water will only compound the formation of salt crystals. I used tank water a couple of times and noticed the venturi got clogged sooner than when i used freshwater.

BigJPDC
02/04/2007, 08:09 PM
hey - that's a really good idea chalowolf, I will give that a shot.

loc01
02/04/2007, 09:51 PM
I took the hose off and use a small drill bit to clean it once in a while.

Loc

niko5
02/05/2007, 06:57 AM
You could just put a T Fitting on the air intake line of a skimmer then put your ATO water line on the t fitting (side) then the air would still go to the skimmer through the top and all your topoff water would run through it...

I think...

That seems like a good idea im gonna rig that up tonight :)

BigJPDC
02/05/2007, 07:40 AM
I don't even know if this is possible, bu tI am glad I am not the only one that sees this, and that it's not just the Octo.

Something is going on with the pump assembly such that the water\air mixture degrades to the point where the water level is up inside the collection cup, and then is easily resolved by pouring water (tank or ro\di) down the airline.

Is the issue with the airline or beyond?

jp

douggiestyle
02/05/2007, 10:33 AM
there is a thread in here where someone used fresh water coming through a solenoid. it was connected to a timer that came on once a week for a minute. they used lime water for the daily ato. it would be a simple setup to put this in action. key would be a good timer. my electronic light timer just failed in the closed position. you do not want this to happen. if using this type of setup you would deffinately want the timer connected to the backup high level switch.

niko5
02/06/2007, 07:17 AM
I tried this last night. My topoff is controlled via a solonid so I put a t on the air intake and hooked my water to the side it seemed to work the only problem I see is when the water comes on all of my foam in the neck of the skimmer drops and disolves into the skimmer water because all the bubbles stop for a couple seconds... im not sure this would be good if the topoff comes on say 20 times a day it could effect the skimmer dont you think?

I like the idea of a seperate timed cleaning... maybe every other day.

Then again maybe I should just put some fresh water over it every couple days myself...

BigJPDC
02/06/2007, 07:32 AM
Niko - yes, that's what happens when I pour a cup of water into the airline. It is rewarding when the airline sounds like a jet engine once it's cleared though.

So, the place where this impacts me is if I were to go away from the tank for more than a few days but the more I think about it, I already empty the cup every 2-3 days so I would probably leave the skimmer off during that period anyway.

Seperate timed cleaning is an interesting idea. You could fabricate the airline onto a pendulum that swung it underwater periodically.

Something else is going on, and opening up the venturi is probably the place to focus so it never needed flushing and cleaning. I just hate drilling holes in parts I don't have replacements for, so I might post in the Octopus thread asking if anybody has rebuilt the venturi from scratch.

jp

douggiestyle
02/06/2007, 09:13 AM
i should mention that the lime water did not go through the venturie. it was supplied to the sump as normaly done.