PDA

View Full Version : Is brace needed or not

pugmommie
02/04/2007, 09:19 AM
Ordered 120 gal tank 48x24x24. 2 holes in bottom, 3 holes in back. It is at least 1/2 inch thick.
It came in yesterday, while we were at our lfs, but we did not pick it up yet, we plan on getting it next weekend.
As we were on our way home, my husband mentioned he didn't remember seeing a center brace on it and then I didn't either.
I thought we were going to have a center brace.
I would think if a brace were needed the builder would put it in.
My question is, with the glass being at least 1/2 inch thick, is a brace even needed for this tank? :(

sir_dudeguy
02/04/2007, 10:03 AM
with glass that thick it is probably not needed. But if it needs one, the manufacturer has to put it in. Basically to save their own skins imo. I see people breaking out the center brace on tanks all the time so they can get a light to fit or something. If that tank breaks, even while inside the warranty, there is nothing the maker of the tank has to do. Its the persons own fault :)

But anywho, it didnt come with one so that would more than likely mean it is not needed, specially w/that thick of glass.

pugmommie
02/04/2007, 10:19 AM
That's what I was hoping, I hear people talk about there 1/4 inch glass bowing, but if it's at least 1/2 inch thick then I don't think it would bow

nhlives
02/04/2007, 10:32 AM
The AGA 120 48x24x24 has a center brace

Entropy
02/04/2007, 10:44 AM
What kind of bracing does the top have? I have seen plenty of Euro braced tanks without a center brace. Most four foot tank do have some kind of center brace regardless of glass thickness, unless they have some other kind of bracing.

Satori
02/04/2007, 10:48 AM
As mentioned, it might have Euro-bracing. In this case, the braces will be along the edges instead of down the middle.

pugmommie
02/04/2007, 10:57 AM
I wish the lfs was opened today, so I could take a better look at it, but I don't think there was any Euro-bracing either. Also the 3 holes on the back (if I remember right) were level with each other.
The holes on the left and right are the overflows to the sump and the middle hole is for the close loop, which goes to the 2 holes in the bottom. I thought the middle hole was going to be lower in the tank. Is this going to cause a problem or will 90 degree elbow take care of this?
I'm asking because my husband thinks the turbulence from the other holes at the same level will cause air bubbles in the closed loop and I just don't know.

pugmommie
02/04/2007, 12:59 PM
Does anyone have a 120 gal without bracing?