PDA

View Full Version : Blue spot stingray

virginiabreeze6
02/04/2007, 01:06 PM
Has anyone attempted this stingray in their tank? If so how was it to acclimate, how large was your tank, and how did you have your aquascaping set up to accommodate it?

Any pics or videos would be greatly appreciated. :)

Bhewko
02/04/2007, 01:14 PM
Virginiabreeze6 - The "Blue Spotted Stingray" is one of the hardest specie of Ray to keep in home aquaria. I would recommed a easier Ray such as the Cortez, or the Yellow. But both need fairly large systems or ponds. Ranging from 300-600 Gallons. If its a tank make sure its really wide, atleast 30" I would go more. I sent you a pm with more information.

virginiabreeze6
02/04/2007, 02:52 PM
Got it, thanks

krj-1168
02/04/2007, 03:06 PM
Actually - there are two different species known as Blue Spotted Stingray

The Blue spotted ribbontail stingray is the most common of the 2. And the species that is one of the hardest to keep alive.

Also there's the Blue Spotted or Masked Stingray which is rarer - but a much hardier species, and considered to be one of the easier species of stingrays to keep.

ClamIAm
02/04/2007, 04:40 PM
My personal experience with the ribbontail ray is that they are overhyped in their difficulty. I've never seen one that didn't eat at least ghost shrimp, and have seen plenty eat frozen foods after a few weeks.