PDA

View Full Version : Help with trying to backup photos on a cd

highquality
02/04/2007, 01:17 PM
Im trying to backup my photos ona cd . Will the RAW files burn to a cd and well im not getting any of them to copy. How do you guys do this with a dell comp. I need to restore my computor so im trying to save these pics befor i do... thanks...

lessthanlights
02/04/2007, 01:18 PM
it should be just like burning any data to a cd

lessthanlights
02/04/2007, 01:21 PM
once caution about cds (and hard drives) is that they haven't been around long enough for anyone to know their true shelf life. in other words if you want your photos to be around in 30 40 and 50 years it's best to back them up on multiple types of media- cd, dvd, flash, harddrive, tape, ect instead of depending on just one.

gregr
02/04/2007, 01:24 PM
For long term back-up I advise against cd's-- I like hard drives for that purpose. Temporary back-up on cd's is ok but I've seen a lot of cd's go bad in only a couple years :(
What software are you using to do the burning? I've had good luck with Express Burn.

highquality
02/04/2007, 02:53 PM
I was just clicking File- then backup - While i was in photoshop elements photo browser. will that work ok. because I did that and only one picture came thru. Its not working. i just want to temporarily save them on cd.

lessthanlights
02/04/2007, 03:02 PM
skip photoshop

i'm assuming you are using windows xp? if you are just pop a disc in your burner and it should appear under "my computer" then just drag and drop the photos you want to back up onto the disc. double click on the disc and somewhere there should be a button that say "burn files to disc" or something similar. click it and you are done.

highquality
02/04/2007, 03:10 PM
There is approx. 500 photos. some are nef RAW and some are jpg. Ill give it a try... thanks

highquality
02/04/2007, 03:16 PM
it turns out that it did copy pics to the disc. When i went to my comp. and clicked the disc drive it showed me what was on it. earlier when i put the disc in and clicked to open it in PS Elements only one picture appeared.

lessthanlights
02/04/2007, 03:22 PM
it's only a short cut to the images- my guess is that they are NOT there until you actually burn the disc.

highquality
02/04/2007, 03:25 PM
I clicked on the back up file and they all appeared. I burned them twice but didnt think it worked.