PDA

View Full Version : clown tang

drozz13
02/04/2007, 09:29 PM
looking for some detailed information on the behavior of a clown tang. We have a 56 gallon tank. Sometimes he will get in this mode where he will be spaztic and he will swim very fast along tank. I think he is "playing" is this a behavioral trait for them???

Jerry W
02/04/2007, 09:43 PM
The behavior is most likely related to your tank size. These fish are extremely active, can be very aggressive and need very large systems. Many don't survive long term either. Tangs like (love) to swim and these bursts of energy are common. Your tank simply is not suited to this fish. Sorry.

coryjac0b
02/05/2007, 09:49 AM
clown tangs can reach around 10-12 inches in length, and need at least 8 feet of swimming space to swim and around 300+ gallons.

I like Triggers
02/05/2007, 11:36 AM
Speaking from experience of having 2 clown tangs. One was in my 80 gallon and one was in my 225. Both were absolutly breathtaking specimens. The one in the 80 vanished to never been seen again the night it was put in. The 2nd one in my 225 lived for about 3 months in my 225 but was picky on eating. I feed shrimp or nori daily and have very fat fish. It ate everytime I fed, but not much, and started to get skinnier and skinnier. From what I have read, this is what the majority of clown tangs do. Also your tank is definatly too small for it.

When did you get it? Also how big is it, and what do you feed it?

JRod
02/20/2007, 06:17 PM
I had a clown tang in my 120 for almost 3 1/2 years before it disappeared one day. The fish is definately a big time swimmer and as stated too large a fish for a 55 and I would even say for my 4' 120 also. I love the fish, but I searched high and low for the one I finally bought. It was an African Clown Tang and it was very good for me, but always fighting with my Yellow tang. And talk about aggressive, don't plan on adding another tang after it is added.

ahuxman58
02/20/2007, 06:26 PM
Ive had one also did great for 3 months or so then just got skinny ate great , then one morning it died

Wolverine
02/20/2007, 09:47 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9291909#post9291909 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ahuxman58
Ive had one also did great for 3 months or so then just got skinny ate great , then one morning it died

That's not uncommon. There seems to be something in their nutrition that we don't regularly survive, because they often don't do well even when they seem to be eating. Some people have great success, but you can never really pin down why.

As for this case, a 56g is way too small.

Dave

Miamireefer
02/21/2007, 01:50 AM
just curious for those who lost them......how did they just vanish!?!

Anything else in the tank that could have munched on them? I only ask because if they did get stuck you would have seen some kind of ammonia spike...

again just curious...

Nick

jck3120
02/21/2007, 08:08 AM
I just picked up a 3" specimen from my LFS last night. It will be my first attempt at a clown tang. They got several in on Monday, and I know its not smart to purchase a fish before you see it eat but the owner said if I didn't take it home he was going to. But it is surprisingly extremely healthy looking considering it was just shipped. Last night he started picking at algae and took some frozen mysis so that is a good sign I think. He's in my 30 gal. quarantine for now so I can make sure he eats and then he is going into my 168 gal. I already have a 5" Hippo, 5" desjardini, 11" Naso, 5" Blue throat trigger, 4" checkerboard wrasse, and a 3" tomato clown. Do you guys think he will be alright with these guys? None of my current fish fight at all, and my desjardini is surprisingly docile compared to most that I've seen.

surgeon_fan
02/21/2007, 07:35 PM
I have two clown tangs, have had them for around 6 mos now, both are doing great and are fat as can be. I started then on a diet of live macroalgae, i think this is a good idea to get them used to a captive environment. Neither are very aggressive and they don't bother eachother either. I also have a naso, and a sailfin, among others, and they all get along very well. They are growing quite quickly though, just to let you know.

cmulawka
02/21/2007, 10:47 PM
HDTV guy had one a real big one the didnt survive I wanted one for my 540 but decided against it due to the poor survival rate I think I am going to do a species only tank if i get a bigger one maybe a school of clown tangs