PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone installed LED's in Lumenarc Minis? I have ?'s...

cstires
02/04/2007, 09:39 PM
I'm wanting to install about 2-4 blue leds in each of my Mini's, but I want to make sure the heat from the MH's won't melt them, or damage them. I know that some fixtures have LED's installed with MH's, but are they housed in the same reflector??? Not sure, so I'm asking the experts! :)

Thanks for your help in advance!

aninjaatemyshoe
02/04/2007, 11:53 PM
I don't see how you can have LEDs anywhere near MHs. MHs get way too hot and LEDs need to be fairly cool to last/operate efficiently. The only think I can think of is if you had a fixture with one hell of a good fan and insulation surrounding the LEDs.

dippin61
02/05/2007, 06:37 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9161533#post9161533 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by aninjaatemyshoe
I don't see how you can have LEDs anywhere near MHs. MHs get way too hot and LEDs need to be fairly cool to last/operate efficiently. The only think I can think of is if you had a fixture with one hell of a good fan and insulation surrounding the LEDs.

i think hes just talking about installing LED moonlights. no need to worry about heat and performance with them.

now as to them melting.. depends on your MH setup, and how close you want them to be. mine are about 6-8 inches from my 250w mh with no problems inside a hood.

cstires
02/05/2007, 06:54 PM
That's exactly what I'm talking about. They will be about 9" from the MH.

I just don't have any canopy room to install the LEDs on the top of the canopy, so I was hoping to install them in the reflector which would give me more coverage throughout the tank...

aninjaatemyshoe
02/05/2007, 07:56 PM
I don't quite understand how you're going to install them into a reflector, but 9" might be far enough to avoid complications from the intense heat. That is if you have a decent fan or other way to cool it. Also, heat will effect the performance of any LED, especially intense heat like that of MHs. The LEDs will burn out quickly/not operate at all in that kind of heat.

cstires
02/05/2007, 08:16 PM
To install them in my reflector I will be drilling 1/4" holes and placing the LEDS so that the bulb is all that's exposed to the MH area.

It may not work, but I don't see how companies can put them beside, if not on the same reflector if head is an issue...