PDA

View Full Version : Macro & trace elements

Ocean Drive
02/05/2007, 04:54 AM
Which integrators or additives suggest me for an optimal growth of macroalgae (Chaetomorpha, Gracilaria, Botryocladia uvaria and Kallimenya reniformis)?
many thanks.

Ocean Drive
02/06/2007, 04:44 AM
any suggest????

Samala
02/06/2007, 09:25 PM
We have had some good luck using iron in very small and occassional doses in some tanks with heavy green algae and seagrass growth. Another dosed nutrient (somewhat in this category) would be carbon as carbon dioxide. If the intention is to create a planted tank this can go a long way, but I warn you, its rather experimental.

Otherwise, keep Ca and Mg at good levels and perform regular water changes. These two water quality practices do a good job at replacing any micronutrients that the alga will use up during growth.

Oh, so far, we do not have any data for just how much of any one micronutrient is used up during growth of alga. Take all of this with a grain of salt and use discretion when starting out. As with all things aquaria related, only bad things happen quickly. :)

And check out the thread at the top of this board, "Forum Favorites", for links to discussions on iron and CO2 dosing.

>Sarah

Ocean Drive
02/07/2007, 01:34 AM
Many thanks Sarah for infos :)
Can you read my PM for you?
Ciao ;)