PDA

View Full Version : submersible pump vs external

ilanstyle50
02/05/2007, 11:01 AM
I could use some guidance and recommendations, but first a little information about my set up. I have a 180 gallon salt tank and using a Little Giant #4 MDQXSC. The pump performs well, but the noise is unbearable. I can’t put all the blame on the pump, a lot has to do with the location of my tank and cabinet. The tank sits as a central display piece also acting as a room divider. Also, one side of the cabinet has no doors or panels. A couch backs up to hide equipment from view but does allow all the noise to escape. I tried rubber under the pump and adding panels to help sound proof the cabinet but the rubber did nothing, and the panels sealed off too much air circulation. Back to square one, I believe a submersible pump might be a good option. Can anyone recommend a submersible pump with the same performance specs as the Little Giant? The approximate size of this will help determine if I have sufficient space for an additional sump. My current sump is part of my wet dry filter and home to other equipment. Next to that, I have 21 inches of length space between the current sump and cabinet wall. The Little Giant and its plumbing reside in the space currently. I assume I will want to match the 12 inch width and 16 inch. height to the current sump, but do I have enough length space? For obvious reasons, I expect a submersible to contribute a little more heat than the Little Giant, but alone I don’t know if enough to be concerned about? I would think the bigger concern is to determine if in combination with my other equipment, would the collection of equipment throw too much heat. I began testing heat output of my current equipment by shutting off the heater and monitoring temperature. In each 24 hours at night the tank has dropped one full degree. This confirms my current equipment can not maintain heat in specified range during winter. If I can get the expected heat out put of a pump I should be able to add that in and calculate if I would still lose heat or not have to be concerned with rising heat during summer.

wife no likey
02/05/2007, 03:30 PM
I think you have to oil the bearings in little giant pumps.

ilanstyle50
02/05/2007, 04:18 PM
re: oil - did that

crabsy
02/05/2007, 06:51 PM
Submersible-quieter---NO LEAKS

BBoley24
02/05/2007, 08:02 PM
Yes I run a Mag 18 internal on my 210.. I CANNOT HEAR ANYTHING. NOTHING.... a hum from my CL and thats it.

BBoley24
02/05/2007, 08:02 PM
Yes I run a Mag 18 on my 210.. I CANNOT HEAR ANYTHING. NOTHING.... a hum from my CL and thats it.

A sea K
02/05/2007, 10:46 PM
Ditto on the mag18 in my 210. Submersibles can add heat though.

ilanstyle50
02/06/2007, 11:23 AM
Allot of the posts compare the Mag or Eheim pumps. Which is the better of the two?

corals b 4 bills
02/06/2007, 11:58 AM
I also run a Mag 18 on my 155 it's been great, quiet and powerfull, but I hear the Eheims run cooler than most Submersibles.

jag1979
02/06/2007, 12:01 PM
I have two eheim 1260's on my 180, one internal one external. They both are very quit and add no noticable heat to the aquarium.