PDA

View Full Version : New Bubble Tip Anemone

Jims
02/05/2007, 11:09 AM
Bit stupid really i bought a bubble tip at the weekend that is huge 24" accross it nice green and purple colour and the shop had just got it in from a tank they had bought poor thing was being kept in a 4ftx1ftx1ft tank. I saw the tank and it had normal flourescent tubes 2x 36w. The shop only wanted a modest amount for it and i have a tank large enough to put it in kind of center stage i was thinking. I guess this guy is old the shop said they orignally sold it to him when it was only 3". Anyhow getting to the point I have rockwork which is surpported by a frame of 22mm Plastic tube. Once introduced to its new surroundings ( with me with shoulder length thick rubber gloves I have been stung before not a pleasant experience) the new inhabitant starts to inflate and gets to a fair size around 18". Then it starts to wander around i think fair enough as its probably finding a nice spot. Bare in mind my lighting is t5 and is very bright. Anyhow hes now move thru a crack in the rockwork around 2" in size and into the void beind and is hanging upside down! from the back of the rock. It seems quite happy thier i am not as I had to remove all my pump circuit intakes into the sump just to be safe and i am not that happy that it has decided that the dark recess should be its new home. I am blaming the light because i know my water parameters are good enough to keep corals. Is this behavoiur because the light is to bright compared to the dull light of the flourescents. Also I tryed feed him with some gamma how large should I make the pieces of food ? should they be 1/4" sqaure still or should i make the pieces of food larger? also is their anyway of encouraging him to move out from behind the rockwork? Powerhead pointing in his genral direction ? I could turn a tube off for a while durring the day and see if he likes it a bit darker but is this really the problem? Also does anyone have a idea of how long it takes a buble tip to grow to this size?
When he comes out i get some pictures to put up i plan to get some clowns when he finally settles in a reasonable position.

redvipe2010
02/05/2007, 02:13 PM
He is most likely still acclimating to the stronger light. You can try to put some type of screen on top to take away part of the lighting, and acclimate him to the light slowly. T-5 lighting is not too bright for him, it's just brighter than what he's used to, and he needs time to adjust.

As for size of food, I try to keep it no bigger than the anemones mouth, twice a week. Rate of growth really depends on feedings and lighting.

I suggest waiting a few more days before adjusting any flow.

Jims
02/06/2007, 01:21 PM
Hes has moved and has decided as of today to move half its crown thru a crack in the rock and half behind. Okay the feeding i will wait till the weekend. Cheers for the advice. Um interesting point have been reading articles about some lighting being to strong for some but this seems to be very rare and most that i have seen come across tend to get themselves in the brightest spot.

redvipe2010
02/06/2007, 07:32 PM
Your welcome! I think your lighing will be fine, once he adjusts. Many keep these under much higher lighting.