PDA

View Full Version : stocking a new 75g fowlr

gbtrain
02/05/2007, 01:41 PM
My new tank has been up for about 5 weeks and has completed it's cycle. I'm starting to decide what fish to get. I'm looking at maybe a Raccoon or Auriga butterfly fish at some point and would like oipions on min tank size. I've read any where from 50g minimum to 80g minimum(fish get to 8 or 9 inchs in size). I don't plan on upgrading to a larger tank and I'm not into have a fish for a year or two tell he out grows current tank.

Thanks,
Steve

zoomfish1
02/05/2007, 01:50 PM
I've had no luck with either of those two in my 75g. Some fish to consider might be a clownfish (no anemone required), a dwarf angel of some kind. Maybe a coral beauty or flame angel. Both are very colorful. Psuedochromis or bi-color blenni, maybe something like purple reef chromis are nice and peaceful.

Ther are so many combinations to consider.

engine
02/05/2007, 01:56 PM
The foxface is one im planning on for my 75

steri
02/05/2007, 02:25 PM
Personally, I've never had luck with Butterflies, but I would think a 75 would be good for one or 2 of them if you can get them to survive. You said you planned on having a FOWLR so that is a good set up for butterflies. If you get one, maybe get some Apastia (sp?) from the LPS. Most butterflies eat it. It's a natural food source for them which I would imagine could get them eating faily quickly in the tank (that was always my problem, getting them to start eating). Most LPS's should just give those things away as most people hate having them in the tank, the Apastia's I mean, but butterflies love eating them. I saw a racoon butterfly clean out 100 lbs of LR in 48 hours once! Talk about a fat and happy butterfly!

Anyway, for other stocking suggestions; you can alway get a pair of clownfish, some gobies (like firefish, clowns, sand sifters, etc). You could get some smaller wrasses or a dawrf angel. Those are just some ideas.

In my 75 I have 2 fish that will end up getting some size to them (8 inches or so). Other then that, I am staying with smaller fish, and I would recommend that to others so that when the big fish get big, they still have room to move and not be stressed. As it is now, I am close to being fully stocked (see my stock below).

I guess what I'm saying is, if you want butterflies, great, just get, maybe no more then 2 butterflies though, and stay small with the rest of your fish. That's just my opinion though. Oh, and I'd wait another month or 2 on getting the butterflies, just to make sure the tank is more established. Start off with cheaper smaller fish to make sure your tank is ready for more expesive ones. Have fun with whatever option you choose!

gbtrain
02/05/2007, 11:04 PM
Yes the other fish I was thinking of are fairly small
1 Dawrf angel Coral Beauty or Flame
2 Clowns
1 Royal Gramma
1 Six Line wrasse
1 Sailfin Blenny

looks like the survival rate on Butterflies is low from what I've read here on RC. I'll have to read up on them some more.

Thanks all,
Steve