PDA

View Full Version : Colt - polpys open, but stalk deflated

jjirsa78
02/05/2007, 01:55 PM
I have a colt that's generally in the 7-8" range. Lately, it's been opening (full brown polyps out), but deflating (about 2-3" tall instead of 7", stalk looks week, branches bent and limp).

Nothing significant has changed in the tank - same location, same light, same flow. Bulbs are PC (4x65W), about 7 months old. Added some ordinary Turbo snails and hermits, just to replenish what had disappeared over time.

Everything else in the tank except a GSP cluster looks fine - that cluster also isn't opening, which is unusual. All inverts, fish, and other soft corals are fine.

My hunch is that there's some outside pollution - my wife generally burns a lot of candles in that room, any chance that's irritating the system? Anyone have any other ideas?

Hormigaquatica
02/05/2007, 02:40 PM
Do your basic water tests just to make sure things are alright as far as that goes, esp. pH and KH. Ifyou suspect candles, sprays, etc, best thing to do is a decent size water change (at least 25%); you might want to put some carbon or a polyfilter in the system to help remove any potential toxins too.

Krazy
02/05/2007, 08:18 PM
I'd do a water change as said above, it cant hurt, thats for sure, put some fresh carbon in as well