PDA

View Full Version : Is an over Flushed RODI-Bad?

fio1022
02/05/2007, 03:33 PM
It's been a while since I did a flush on my RO/DI unit.So I turned the two bypass valves and I figured I'd flush it for 10-15 min.
Well while lying in bed 36hrs later I remembered.
Any harm done?

RandyStacyE
02/05/2007, 04:38 PM
From what I've read regarding what others have tested, over flushing isn't necessary (flushing for hours or many minutes).

DonW for instance set his RO/DI unit to automatically flush every time he starts up his unit therefore he doesn't see any TDS creep. I believe his ‘auto flush’ dumps approx 1/2 gal of water to waste (as a flush) then switches over to producing water. He has found that any more than that much of a flush is ‘in a way’ a waste.

Lutefisk
02/05/2007, 04:44 PM
You didn't do any harm - other than wasting some water (something we've all done at one time or another).

Paul

AZDesertRat
02/05/2007, 06:18 PM
Flushing in the beginning isn't going to do you much good. Its best to flush immediately after making water to flush any residue off the membrane. TDS creep is still going to happen so if your goal is to reduce or eliminate that you need to flush the product or good water to waste for a few ounces, not the waste line.

RandyStacyE
02/05/2007, 06:28 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9167149#post9167149 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by AZDesertRat
Flushing in the beginning isn't going to do you much good. Its best to flush immediately after making water to flush any residue off the membrane. TDS creep is still going to happen so if your goal is to reduce or eliminate that you need to flush the product or good water to waste for a few ounces, not the waste line.

Ohhh I see ... maybe I misunderstood what DonW did a while back. He must have set his unit up to dump the first 1/2 gallon to waste then it switches over to his DI resin.

Is that what you mean by 'flush the product'?

AZDesertRat
02/05/2007, 06:45 PM
Yes. I hear through the grapevine there may be a system coming out soon that features an automatic flush using DI water! That should really extend RO membrane life as well as produce better quality water. What will they think of next?

RandyStacyE
02/05/2007, 06:58 PM
Wow! how on earth could they do that ... flush with DI water? There must be a built in accumulator (like a mini bladder canister) or something like that.