PDA

View Full Version : Trouble with Kenya Tree

gillianandjoe
02/05/2007, 07:23 PM
OK, so I got this kenya tree in trade on Sunday. It looked great in the other guys tank. I get it home, do an acclimation(Bit of water every 15 min for an hour), and in it goes. I put it in a medium flow, medium light area. It looked all slumped over, so today I went to move it to another spot, I thougt it might need more flow. When it got to the higher flow, it just starts falling apart. Almost all of the branches just dissolved, and were carried off ny the current. Any ideas as to whats going on?

Krazy
02/05/2007, 08:17 PM
I believe its dead :(

gillianandjoe
02/06/2007, 05:57 AM
That's my fear. What do you think happened? I got another Kenya on Saturday, it looks great.

paeSona
02/06/2007, 05:43 PM
itss definitlyy deadd .... sometimess corals just dont react good to your water because i hade a leather toadstool and it died and the following day i got a new one bc of the stores 7 day return policy and its living healthyy.. also you should do the drip aclimatiopn methodd thats what i would recomendd take an airlining tube 8 ft there only 99 centss and tie a not in it ubntil a drip and let the water from ur tank drip off into the bag or bucket the coral is in for about an hour to an hourand a halff that alwayss workss... ive had great sucess with it and dunt be impatinett let it drip for a lil bit more then an hr for best reslutss

dendro982
02/11/2007, 09:29 PM
If we are talking about Capnella, not Arboreum - it's strange, it very hardy. Mine don't opens in area of low flow and after touching only.

It may sounds ridiculous, but can't it be exposed to low temperatures during trip to home? Your acclimation was good - I did even less.

Mine likes a lot of light (PC, not MH) and a lot of flow (may be 100 gph at the place, where it is). I have experience, similar yo your, with mushrooms and suspect that alkalinity 7-8 dKH isn't enough for them.

DrBCool
02/14/2007, 01:29 PM
Hey just got a Kenya tree frag .. Being a landscaper and grounds keeper when I think of trees I think of loping of branches to sculpt it .... Can this thing be treated like such ? The space I have for it to grow in is out of a big hole in the rock work ... I don't want it spreading out at first as there are thing there that I want to stay :-) So can I just lop of branches of it as it grows upward ? Will it live ? Can I frag those pieces ?
Sorry for all the questions , this is a new coral for me as of now just had zoo's , xenia , mushroom Ricordia , Paly's GSp clove polyps ... and a leather toadstoal

dendro982
02/15/2007, 12:26 AM
If I understand right, can it be pruned? Here is how the pruned by fish Kenya tree (capnella) looks like (the bottom tree, closer to the top - branch ends abruptly):
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g78/dendro982/Soft%20corals/Capnella.jpg
The branch was dropped to the bottom, self-attached within 1 day:
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g78/dendro982/Soft%20corals/KenyatreechopDec2.jpg

Was pruned this way many times (~10), have frags all over the tank. After more than half year, the main tree become approximately 5" tall, 6" wide, but this is low light, high nutrients system.

If you have high light and lower nutrients - it may stay more compact, with shorter branches (wild guess, didn't tried).
Was bought with shorter nodes:
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g78/dendro982/Soft%20corals/CapnellaMay7.jpg
Hope that this helps :)

DrBCool
02/15/2007, 05:58 PM
Yep that's what I was looking for ... Thank you very much for your reply .. Look out from landscape to aquascaping ... lol ... I think they are very similar actually :-)

DrBCool
02/15/2007, 06:00 PM
What are the bright yellow polyps in the front right corner of the first picture ? Been looking for bright yellow something in the tank ..:-)