PDA

View Full Version : AMS mini

1pix4c
02/05/2007, 07:41 PM
anybody use this skimmer

Mojo Jojo
02/05/2007, 11:43 PM
It's crap, if you want a good skimmer use the bak pak 2.

ZC
02/06/2007, 09:52 AM
are you talking about the ASM mini? If so the skimmer is awesome! !!!!!!!! !! I use it on my 30g mantis tank, and it pulls out all kinds of gunk! well worth the money IMO. Also IMO it's WAY better than the bak pak skimmer!!

Mojo Jojo
02/06/2007, 03:39 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9171744#post9171744 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ZC
are you talking about the ASM mini? If so the skimmer is awesome! !!!!!!!! !! I use it on my 30g mantis tank, and it pulls out all kinds of gunk! well worth the money IMO. Also IMO it's WAY better than the bak pak skimmer!!

Hey its cool, only giving my advice from my experience. Somethings work better for others.

1pix4c
02/06/2007, 06:59 PM
thanks I appreciate your opinions, keep them coming
1 yes
1no

dendro982
02/07/2007, 08:31 PM
Mmmm, in-between:
I have ASM G-3 and ASM Mini. The fact, that I have both, tells about something. ASM Mini is quite big - should fit 5g bucket. It's a pain to adjust - but I have side sumps, not under the tank - this should be more stable in work. It produces a lot of finest bubbles in the main chamber - a dream of a skimmer, comparing to my previous Visi-Jet and Lee's large CC skimmer.
But: buying a BIG skimmer is only beginning. Making it work - totally different matter. Skimmer should get the unfiltered water from the surface and the top 1/2" of water - ready-made overflows of this type are not sold, as far as I know. The second, this dirty water should come undiluted into the pump, feeding skimmer - it should be in a separate part of the sump. And the clean water should go away, not back in this chamber and not dilute the dirty water - you will need to do gate valve modification (even without valve) at the beginning.
More about making any skimmer work effectively - in Antony Calfo's threads 1 (http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=723744) and 2 (http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=619976)
There is also very long thread about all ASM skimmers, ASM skimmers club (http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=669894&perpage=25&pagenumber=1) , you can check opinions on Mini.

whatreef
02/07/2007, 11:58 PM
i have a asm mini in my 15+15 gallon setup, very happy with

bottom half is kinda dry and top is wet
http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m306/aquakevem/skimate0306.png

dendro982
02/08/2007, 05:31 AM
Is it a daily skimmate? How are you adjusted skimmer: is it modified or not, at what depth is it, where is water bubble level in the collection cup, is it receiving unfiltered water from the top, how do you divert the clean water to the return pump, anything else of importance?
Thanks.

Naperville Reef
02/08/2007, 09:37 AM
i think it is decent. my only complaint is the pump. it is loud.

whatreef.... how long did it take you to collect that much skimate? i am having trouble running mine wet. i get a lot of gunk that sticks to the top of the tube and the lid of the cup but only about .5" of water in the cup after a week or so. i keep adjusting the water level higher but it doesn't seem to help....

whatreef
02/08/2007, 05:00 PM
Is it a daily skimmate?
this is a weeks worth of skimate with a very low bioload.
http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m306/aquakevem/day6.png

How are you adjusted skimmer: is it modified or not
gate valve mod

at what depth is it
about 7 inches of water

where is water bubble level in the collection cup
a inch above the neck for dry and two or three for wet.

is it receiving unfiltered water from the top
no recirulating mod

how do you divert the clean water to the return pump
i water from the skimmer goes into my refugium then return pump
http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m306/aquakevem/showsump.png

i didn't do anything special to get it working good

whatreef
02/08/2007, 05:13 PM
my only complaint is the pump. it is loud.
if your pump is very loud n noisy. just call a guy named memo at all seas marine, i forgot his number. and he will fix it for free with free shipping both ways. send a email to Rob from asmskimmer.com about your problem. ask for memo at all seas marine

whatreef.... how long did it take you to collect that much skimate?
thats a picture of one week dry and one week of wet skimate

i am having trouble running mine wet. i get a lot of gunk that sticks to the top of the tube and the lid of the cup but only about .5" of water in the cup after a week or so. i keep adjusting the water level higher but it doesn't seem to help....
how much water is going through your sump?

Naperville Reef
02/08/2007, 06:29 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9192719#post9192719 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by whatreef
how much water is going through your sump?

i have a Mag 5 return with about 3 feet of head.

thanks for the info.....

dendro982
02/08/2007, 07:29 PM
Thanks, will try.

whatreef
02/08/2007, 08:09 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9193354#post9193354 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Naperville Reef
i have a Mag 5 return with about 3 feet of head.

thanks for the info.....

i forgot to add this in my last message.

is the overflow drain right next to your skimmer? i think the water coming from the drain interferes with the water doing into the skimmer

happy to help

Naperville Reef
02/09/2007, 09:32 AM
the overflow drain is not next to the skimmer but after the water comes out of the drain it flows into another compartment with about a 6 inch drop. the skimmer's pump sits beneath that water flow. you think that could cause the skimmer to underperform?

whatreef
02/10/2007, 12:02 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9197979#post9197979 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Naperville Reef
the overflow drain is not next to the skimmer but after the water comes out of the drain it flows into another compartment with about a 6 inch drop. the skimmer's pump sits beneath that water flow. you think that could cause the skimmer to underperform?

maybe, if you have enough space to switch the pump to the right. see if that makes a difference, less flow