PDA

View Full Version : New open brain looking bad. HELP!!

TonyOrlando
02/05/2007, 08:23 PM
Yesterday i bought an open brain and placed it on the sandbed. I have 4x65 watt pc 10k in a 72 gallon bowfront. All parameters are good except nitrate spike took my nitrates to 25. My question is that yesterday it looked great and healthy and today it just doesnt look that great. The color is dulling and the tenicles arnt extending at all like before. Tank has been up for 5 months now.
Anyone have any suggestions. Im doing water changes to lower the nitrates of course. Help!!!

simonf
02/06/2007, 11:36 AM
Could you be a bit more specific about how it looks. Is it all puffed up? Normally the tentacles only come out at night or during feeding.

What kind of lighting was it under where you got it; it could be light shock, though I doubt it with 4X65 pc.

How much flow is it under?

What other animals do you have in your tank? some fish and inverts will bother LPS. What other corals do you have? Could something be stinging it?

TonyOrlando
02/06/2007, 06:32 PM
no, there arnt any other corals by it. Its not all puffed up either. It just looks like its slowly losing it color. I have a naso tang, 3 damsels, 2 gobies and a cleaning crew. The water flow is med to low. The lighting it was under was t5, not sure what watt though. All other corals seem to be doing good though except for my other brain favite, that lost its pretty looking color too.

JDrex
02/06/2007, 09:46 PM
Its probably combination of lighting and nitrates. All corals go through a shocked phase in lighting when there is more or less than what it was getting. As for the nitrates, while fish can handle nitrates of up to 40ppm corals such as a brain can't handle much over 0.

jandlms
02/06/2007, 10:29 PM
Maybe shift this to the LPS forum?????/