PDA

View Full Version : Help Needed!!!!!!

zdawgnight
02/06/2007, 09:01 AM
my chalice coral that was doing so well is going through some recession how can i get him to bounce back im going to do a water change ive had him for a few weeks and he was doing amazing until i woke up this morning it used to have its feeder tenticles out all the time and now its jsut sitting there anyone got any advice ??????? I can see the skeleton

RandyO
02/06/2007, 01:22 PM
Is the period button broken on your keyboard? :)

Are you sure it's recession, and not tissue die off?

If it's tissue die off, you would see brown pieces of dead flesh adjacent to the exposed skeleton. Take a turkey baster and baste the area near the exposed skeleton. If the flesh blows off, it's die off. It may have gotten stung from something, and immediate action should be taken. Clean the coral off. I usually put the coral in a cup of salt water to clean the wound. Then I move it to another clean cup of water and give it a dip with some Iodine of some kind. Lugol's Iodine, Potassium Iodide, or any other coral dip. Leave the coral in the cup of water with the dip solution for about 15 minutes, then return it to the tank and make sure the damaged area has plenty of flow on it.

If it's recession, then it could be something wrong with the water quality. Check your levels. Calcium and Alkalinity would be the first things I checked, as well as pollution levels. Make sure your Magnesium levels are at least 1200ppm or higher.

zdawgnight
02/06/2007, 01:27 PM
i think its die off. It was stung by my torch coral but this die off is from the other side. I dont get it and sorry about lack of periods i was in a rush to get to class as well as figure out what was going on

thecichlidpleco
02/06/2007, 08:01 PM
A total pig-headed male, all against periods.

zdawgnight
02/06/2007, 08:37 PM
this is a serious problem and all that cichlid pleco can do is make dirty jokes i need help not mockery

ghostman
02/07/2007, 10:22 AM
I would take Randy's good advice and do a cleaning and dip. Maybe post a pic so you can get more advice on the extent of the damage.
BTW, I like periods. Prayed for them a few times:)

thecichlidpleco
02/07/2007, 03:14 PM
BTW, I like periods. Prayed for them a few times:)

I am right there with you buddy, let me know when you get your stuff back in check Zdawgnight.

zdawgnight
02/07/2007, 03:30 PM
Well it looks the storm has blown over, the feeder tenticles are officially out and its looking a bit better but still has a nasty scar very upsetting. Hopefully when i do a water change tommorow this will just be a bad dream. Unfortunately since I cant go out and take care of water and everything.

wantsalotta
02/07/2007, 03:31 PM
Maybe a pic and more precise description, and we could give you some pointers.

zdawgnight
02/07/2007, 03:51 PM
Im sorry im just a poor college student with an expensive hobby so I cant really give much more. I understand that the more i can give the better off i am but more information i can give you is i do need a water change but i cant cause im out of water ( college). I should be able to do one tommorow so I havent been feeding anything to keep waste down. I had a torch right next to it on accident I think my urchin bumped it over but its bad spot is on the opposite side of the torch (which I moved once i saw it close to my chalice) It is a bubble gum chalice I think oxypora but not sure its in low part of my tank away from high lighting which is a halide. looks like I can see some skeleton on one of the sides but it hasnt gotten worse since yesterday.

thecichlidpleco
02/07/2007, 04:15 PM
First of all, get rid of that urchin, all it does is knock down things and picks up zoas. My stupid serpent star moved my frogspawn. Secondly, clean out your mailbox.

zdawgnight
02/09/2007, 01:01 PM
Well Im quite pleased to find ou that my coral is now almost back to normal it must have just been a recession. It amazes me how coral seems to be so delicate but has amazing healing abilities almost as though nothing happened. It is one small step for me to change the water and one giant leap in the health of my corals. THanks for all your concern!