PDA

View Full Version : Bio balls as poor man's LR?

randL524
02/06/2007, 10:55 AM
Pulled a healthy 2" mantis form my 24 gal nanocube and set it up for my son in a 5 gal glass tank with a simple over-the side filter, a lb or so of LR for the mantix to dig under and about 2" of dead aquarium sand. Added some stresszyme and I was wondering if I could just scatter some of the bio balls I took out of my nano cube on the floor of the tank as a sunstrate for good bacteria growth (the filter is too small for them to fit the balls into).

Joshua1023
02/06/2007, 11:12 AM
Bioballs are used to grow aerobic bacteria that cycles nitrites into nitrates. The aerobic bacteria is grown in an area that stays wet, but not submerged. Hence the term wet/dry filter. I really don't think the bioballs will do much just sitting in your tank like that.

One more thing. I've never owned a mantis, so take this for what it is worth, but I've heard of them busting through glass tanks when they attack there own reflection. I've never actually spoken to anyone who this has happened to, so maybe someone else can chime in here. Also above all warn your son about sticking his hand in the tank w/ it. They don't call 'em thumb splitters for nothing.:eek:

CedarReefer
02/06/2007, 11:14 AM
Don't bio-ball float anyway?

SgJsg35
02/06/2007, 11:26 AM
Yes they float.

GSMguy
02/06/2007, 11:37 AM
read up on the type of mantis most need a den in the sand some in the rocks

wooglin
02/06/2007, 12:20 PM
Most mantis cannot break glass. Many can hurt a finger.