PDA

View Full Version : Problem for me?

SaltyNovice
02/06/2007, 01:11 PM
Ok, here is the story. I bought a LTA about 2 months ago. He has done fine I think. He is eating (shrimp & scallops - twice a week). He is a nice brownish color with yellow tips. He gets bigger and smaller form time to time depending on his mood (I guess). He is very sticky and the MGB clown will not leave his side for very long. Here is my problem - he will not find a place in the front of the rock where he will stay. I've tried everything (I think?). I've changed the rock for him, dug holes for him, slipped him into rock cracks, I even put him under a colander(sp?) for two days. And every time I think he has settled down - during the night he ups and moves. The clown has a lot to do with it I think. I didn't pay 50.00 for this guy to hide in the back of the tank - any ideas? Any help? :confused:

Slakker
02/06/2007, 01:13 PM
He's going to end up where he wants, basically...

Is the flow different in the back of the tank than the front?

What are your water parameters?

Jims
02/06/2007, 01:35 PM
have similar problem just with a a 24" buble tip. Its usally either water parameters that keep them wandering or the lighting being different from the tank they came from I am guessing because you have had him a fair while it be flow or water parameters. they like somewhere that is fairly still but not stagnant which is maybe why he likes the back area of your tank. My advice is direct some flow to were he is and encourage him to move this way.
Also did you get the clowns before him or after? I have been advised by a shop near me that i should get the clowns after the giant has settled into a position that its comfortable with. Why they did not say. I ask next time i visit.

GSMguy
02/06/2007, 01:52 PM
what kind of light ??

SaltyNovice
02/06/2007, 03:47 PM
Ok, let's see if I can answer everyone's questions.

Lights: Outer Orbit - 2 x 150MH & 2 x 130actinics on a timer with moon lights.

Flow: there is 4 MJ 1200's in the tank. I have more flow in the back (I think). Two pointed at the middle front from the sides up high. One pointed down the back of the tank, medium high. One in the middle up high pointed to the front of the tank.

Clown: I had the clown first. And he has jumped all over the poor LTA from the get - go. I tried putting the LTA in the colander(sp?) for protection, but he just seems to be wanting out. I never imagined these guys could move as they wished - when they wanted to.

Water Params:
Temp: 77 - 79
SG: 1.0235
Amonia: 0
Nitrites: 0
Nitrates: 5
I need to get Alk & Ca tests.

I think that is everyones questions. I like the idea of changing the flow - just not sure which way yet. I really appreciate everyones help - I really need to figure this out. The poor nem seems healthy but I know he is supposed to stay in one spot for a while. I just want it to be where I can see him and feed him a little easier.

What if I rearrange my rock? I really don't want to, but I will if that is what it takes.

Thanks again - :rollface:

sulp
02/06/2007, 10:20 PM
You can try anything but like someone said. No matter what you do the anemone will go where it wants to. Moving it will only stress it out.

Anemones like some place "safe" where then can get away if need be. Even if it does settle in the back it will stretch itself out towards the light during the day and you may be able to see it fine.

But really....The worst thing you can do is keep trying to put it in a spot that it doesn't want to be. It will never stay no matter how many times you put it there.

If you want to rearrage the tank & change the flow, it may work. But after that I would just put him in and let him find a spot on his own.