PDA

View Full Version : what eats chaeto?

creep
02/06/2007, 03:45 PM
I have a bunch of chaeto in my sump, and some of it has made its way to the display tank. Now its starting to appear all over my rocks. What inverts will eat this stuff for me?

zoomfish1
02/06/2007, 03:51 PM
Nothing that I know of eats it, but I certainly don't know of everything. I haven't ever heard of it migrating. Are you sure it's Chaeto growing in the display?

creep
02/06/2007, 03:56 PM
yeah its chaeto, well some of it went thru the pump when i was working in the sump and decided to attach to the LR. I saw the whole thing happen and then cursed at myself.

MCary
02/06/2007, 03:56 PM
My foxface eats Cheato like its spagetti.

Mike

PS

I had cheato migrate too and attach to my LR. Everyone here said I was nuts, that cheato doesn't attach. Some said it was hair algae. Everyone had an opinion.

It was cheato. No doubt. I got pretty tired of people telling me what is wasn't.

You can see it in this old picture. It happened after I dosed some iron. I took a 5 gallon bucket of cheato and sargassum out of this 150 gallon tank a week.

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a226/mwcary_1959/Untitled-1.jpg

It seemed to attach the most on current side rock edges. The algae on the dead part of the coral is bryopsis.

zoomfish1
02/06/2007, 04:26 PM
See, told you I didn't know of everything. Still learning, obviously.

NickBee
02/06/2007, 04:59 PM
Will tangs go after Chaeto? I'm starting up my fuge soon. It would be great to feed chaeto trimings to the tang..

fishyvet
02/06/2007, 05:02 PM
I would not recommend feeding chaeto to tangs. I have a couple of friends who did and their tangs died of chaeto impactions. Others I have heard have gotten away with it. But if it can kill the fish, why even try IMO.

NickBee
02/06/2007, 05:03 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9175343#post9175343 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by fishyvet
I would not recommend feeding chaeto to tangs. I have a couple of friends who did and their tangs died of chaeto impactions. Others I have heard have gotten away with it. But if it can kill the fish, why even try IMO.

good info.. thanks!