PDA

View Full Version : leather not looking too good.

szeth13
02/06/2007, 06:08 PM
my friend got a leather a few weeks back. his tank has undergone a shocking event, so i told him i would hold onto it for him untill his tank gets back to normal. im my tank and his for all i have seen it doesn't extend (open up), but some of the pylops extend. it has developed a little hole i nthe middle. and apears to be tearing. im lost i have no idea what is wrong. it is in a 75 gallon under 250 watt 10 K XM bulb. my water is fine and everything else in the tank is doing well. what could the problem be? thanks in advance

Aliie
02/06/2007, 08:32 PM
Mine is sleepy and won't stand up or extend like you said. I'm going to check back to see if we can't get some coffee for our guys. Wish I could help you and mine.

szeth13
02/08/2007, 09:00 PM
bump

szeth13
02/09/2007, 03:29 PM
any one???

Aliie
02/09/2007, 06:59 PM
YEAH, ANYONE AT ALL?

zoomfish1
02/11/2007, 01:45 PM
When you say the water is fine, what exactly is it? Alk, Ca, Ph, Sg, trates, trites, temp, and anything else you might test for.

If it were just acclimating to your tank it would just not polyp out for a few days, but the hole in it indicates something else is going on there.

Batray_Girl
02/12/2007, 11:19 AM
i've got a green leather polyp (aka regular pinkish-purple color, but has yellowish tentacles), which extended fully for the first couple of days I had it. I purchased a larger, regular toadstool coral and moved the smaller green one to a place in the tank that had equal light, flow, etc. Neither are extending now.

I've even gone so far as to move the small green back to it's original place, but this resulted in the polyp shrinking even smaller. It isn't limp or discolored, just the typical "scared" looking polyp. My problem is the length of time it has been this way. Water param.s good. They get daily doses of stront. & molyb. plus calcium.
Any ideas on what I could do to perk them up? Incease/decrease light, temp.? Anything would be much obliged.

thanks,
-dani

RokleM
02/12/2007, 06:35 PM
Define "fine" parameters. The most common issue I've seen with leathers is either damage or low ALK. They really don't deal with low ALK well at all.

No offense, but if I had a dollar for every time I read someone's parameters were fine, but ended up way off, I'd converted my entire living room to massive aquarium.

Batray_Girl
02/12/2007, 07:05 PM
calcium is about 400, pH is 8.6, nitrates at 0 (I do water changes at least every other day), temp. 78

RokleM
02/12/2007, 07:20 PM
PH is slightly high. What's the ALK?

Batray_Girl
02/12/2007, 08:44 PM
ok. how far down do you think I should bring it? I'll have to test for the alkalinity tomorrow. The kit is with the boyfriend right now.
thanks for being so quick :)

RokleM
02/13/2007, 05:30 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9226617#post9226617 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Batray_Girl
ok. how far down do you think I should bring it? I'll have to test for the alkalinity tomorrow. The kit is with the boyfriend right now.
thanks for being so quick :)

Most shoot for the 8.2 - 8.4 range. If your PH is that high (and you're not doing it on purpose), it's that high for a reason. If you're running kalk, you might be dosing too much (which would lead to a high PH and high ALK). I'd recommend seeing what the ALK test shows.

Batray_Girl
02/13/2007, 10:42 AM
retested this morning:

my nitrates rose, but I am confident this is because I added a new rock with zoo.s and monti., but didn't see the dead part of the zoo. colony. i did my best to get them off and out, but I know that had to affect my little tank.
anyway, here's what I got:

Ca: 500

kH: 197

PO: 0.1

NO: 15

Batray_Girl
02/13/2007, 02:14 PM
Nevermind about the green toadstool. It is perfectly fine as of today.

However, the new toadstool is still not so hot. I am seeing areas on it now that are leading me to believe that it had some kind of infection. Parts of it have that "rotty" look to it and are definitely not shedding. There's a little bit of brownish-orange in these areas as well.

Should I try to frag off these parts or is there something I can use to help it heal up?

RokleM
02/13/2007, 02:49 PM
"kH: 197" :eek1:

Technically, you're about 100 times too high ;)

I'm guessing you either meant:
1.97 ALK which is critically low (try to get it up to at least 3 slowly)
9.7 is a good dKH number
19.7 dKH is double what you want and way critically high.

Batray_Girl
02/13/2007, 06:02 PM
in ppm...

Aliie
02/15/2007, 06:29 AM
I moved mine to the nano to see if it would do better. It's been a week and its finally starting to wake back up. I think it might have been getting to much light.

Batray_Girl
02/16/2007, 09:03 AM
Glad to hear yours is doing better. My green toadstool LOVES all the light it can get, while the pink leathers seem to like HO 50/50 and the compact flourescent better.
What light is in your nano?

bitis316
02/16/2007, 11:52 AM
????why are you doing water changes every other day???

Aliie
02/18/2007, 09:41 PM
Should I?

The above mentioned leather started laying over and was that way for a few weeks. I moved it to the Nano and it started to stretch out it's fingers but still hasn't stood back up.

Should I try to pull it upwards and prop it up with something?

mwwhite
02/19/2007, 08:02 AM
We just had a toadstool recover finally. It took approx. 4 weeks. It was looking just as you describe and we thought it was a goner.

I posted about it and was told over and over that toadstools are pretty hardy and to give it time.

It finally shed the last day or so before it opened up more beautiful than it was.

I'm told they do this from time to time although I believe it can be precipitated by an event. In our case our large emerald crab made it it's bed in it for three or four nights. It did not like that at all and never opened up. Then about 4 weeks later it finally shed and opened up and has been opened ever since.

It was hunched over, brown and awful looking. No holes in it so maybe yours does have another kind of problem.

Batray girl -=- can you clarify what your water params are? As rokelm said your numbers are off.

Batray_Girl
02/19/2007, 11:52 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9257871#post9257871 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by bitis316
????why are you doing water changes every other day???

It's only a 20 gallon tank. I don't have a sump running on this one and have to top off almost every day anyway. I'm not talking 25% changes, now.

Batray_Girl
02/19/2007, 11:59 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9278259#post9278259 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by SpankinNew
Batray girl -=- can you clarify what your water params are? As rokelm said your numbers are off.

The KH I reported was in parts per million.
A KH of 197 in ppm = 11 in °dKH