PDA

View Full Version : remora c hang on - still spewing micro bubbles

motlot77
02/06/2007, 08:44 PM
i've been running my remora aqua c hang on skimmer for i think about 3 weeks now and my micro bubbles are still out of control. i don't really think they've gone away at all.

the only thing i've done to it is use a couple paper towels wet down and stuffed over the spray pump to quiet the thing down.

anyone have ideas why it's bubbling so much?

bertoni
02/06/2007, 09:24 PM
Has the water been treated with any dechlorinator, stress coat supplement, or anything else been added to the tank?

motlot77
02/06/2007, 09:38 PM
i haven't added anything to the tank except for ro/di water and instant ocean.

would something like this work:

http://www.marinedepot.com/md_viewItem.asp?idproduct=AC3323

gbtrain
02/06/2007, 09:56 PM
Yes prefilter box should do the trick.

glenns
02/06/2007, 10:00 PM
The skimmer returns water into a chamber that has a sponge at the bottom. Two problems using the skimmer. 1. The pump chamber will run dry. I've read that problem can be eliminated by drilling small holes in the back. 2. The return sponge will be a nitrate factory. You could replace it with egg crate with live rock rubble on top of the egg crate.

I've read the tend to have a micro-bubble problem when new. But mine is several years old. If not for the live rock rubble in the return chamber, I would have tons of micro-bubbles. Of course I'm using a Mag 7 for the pump.

Glenn

glenns
02/06/2007, 10:02 PM
BTW, I meant Pre-Skimmer box, not the Remora itself.

motlot77
02/06/2007, 10:17 PM
glenns,

so what you're saying is to rip out the filter in the preskimmer, then add eggcrate and rubble rock?

glenns
02/06/2007, 10:29 PM
The Pre-Skimmer box has two chambers. one is enclosed on the sides and bottom for the pump. The other chamber is for water returning from the skimmer. The return chamber's top and bottom are open. The sponge just sits at the bottom of the pre-skimmer box. So yes, remove the sponge and replace it with eggcrate cut to fit. Place the rubble rock on top of the eggcrate.

glenns
02/06/2007, 10:33 PM
I forgot to mention the pre-skimmer hangs from the return pump. The pump of course is hanging from skimmer itself. So, be sure the live rock rubble is light.

motlot77
02/06/2007, 10:36 PM
cool thanks!