PDA

View Full Version : solution to poor polyp extension; algae; red slime all with 'excellent water quality.

Sk8r
02/07/2007, 01:13 PM
I've heard over and over 'get the biggest skimmer you can.'

I ran my 52g tank for a year on an Urchin, which was rated to handle it, with consistently good params, good coral growth, etc.

in the 9th month, however, there was an algae bloom. Then film algae. A little bit of red slime. The anti-phosphate battle began. Phosban. Scraping. Water changes.

In the 12th, things got busy. I skipped a water change. Algae surged.

Short of catastrophe, I got religion and got a mega skimmer---for my little space: an Aqua C EV120, driven by a mag 5.

The thing immediately, no week delay, began pulling dark crud out. It continues.

A gaping upside down clam now looks pristine.
RTNed slimer looks like it's going to recolonize at least half of itself; ditto the foliosa, which was white down to its tips.

Red slime tried to come back for 2 days, then failed to appear.
Green film algae hasn't regrown for 2 days, and used to reappear in hours.

No matter what fix you contemplate for problems, which can get expensive, believe me...consider getting a potent skimmer. Mine is rated for 3x my tank size, and it's made a huge difference in 3 days. I'm blown away. My sand is actually white. Creatures which had been in hiding have reappeared, including the conchs. THe clam is a miracle: I didn't know they could come back from that condition.

The EV 120 is about 17" tall, and the cup dismounts sideways, so you don't have to figure more height in. It was a squeeze to get it into a 10 g sump, but I made it.

It's a miracle, no kidding. Take the advice. Get a BIG skimmer, before you get anything else.