PDA

View Full Version : Need help on purchasing Plumbing Parts

tigga
02/07/2007, 07:23 PM
Hello

I been using quite the time on researching the plumbing for the sump and still have no clue on what parts to buy.

Here is what I plan on doing so far that I know of:

Buy sized diamond coat drill bits off ebay from hongkong.
Drill 2.5" hole for the drain on backwall(not tempered) of 29g and fix a 1.5" bulkhead.
Drill two 1.5" hole for the returns on backwall and fix a 3/4" bulkhead.
Baffle up the 10g tank
Buy Mag7 return

Now I need help knowing what plumbing parts I need. I plan on flexible tubing so not many bending parts are required.

I need to know how to install tubing securely to the bulkheads, about T-offs for returns, installing tubing to Mag7 return, etc. Please, a nice list of the parts would be deeply appreciated.

I admit I can't really give you that much of required detail so if you need any answers, please don't hesistate to ask.

Thank you

tigga
02/07/2007, 08:18 PM
ANyone willing to help out? Really want to finish this setup so that I can begin having fun buying equipment:)

danch
02/07/2007, 10:16 PM
Well, I used hard PVC for my overflow to the sump, and clear vinyl tubing for the return. I'll probably replace the clear tubing with PVC once I know where I really want it.

Are you planning on using the flexible PVC, or the vinyl? I've read somewhere that you need a special glue (that remains flexible when it cures) to cement the flexible PVC to pvc fittings, which you'd probably need.

The vinyl stuff for the return, I bought a directional U return and a ball value with tubing barb fittings from dr fosters. The return pump came with a barb fitting that screwed into the pump. That was the easy part.

I split my drain into 2 streams, one direct into my fuge section and one into my skimmer section. Here's a picture:

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/138130DSC00220-small.jpg

ON the left you can see it exit my overflow box via a female adapter. Then there's a short section of pipe, going to a Tee. The side of the tee heads over to the skimmer, via a ball valve and a union. This allows me to shut off flow and disconnect that bit of plumbing without spilling too much water. From there it's an elbow down, an elbow in, adapters out to a 3 inch tee. The 3" tee has a pipe on the bottom that goes almost to the bottom of the sump, and a short pipe and a cap on the top of it. The cap has a 1/4" hole drilled in it so air can get out. That's to calm bubbles and muffle noise. It would be less necessary if the horizontal run were lower, but I wanted the tee above the ball valve going into the sump.

Back over to the left, the bottom of that tee goes into a ball valve and a union. This set up (in addition to being able to dissassemble the plumbing) allows me to control flow into the fuge section. Again, that ends in an elbow to go in, a longer run this time (since I didn't need to leave room for the skimmer) and an oversize Tee. This one is only two inches, since I have less flow going through there. I'm also lazy, and the 3" stuff on the other side was a later try ;) Another difference in the 'fuge section is that this in-pipe doesn't go all the way to the bottom - I'm going to section this side out with some rock and chaeto on the top, and a cryptic zone underneath, separated by egg crate.

Well, this isn't the worlds greatest set up, but it should at least give you some ideas. One thing I'll say: if the tee I have splitting the fuge and skimmer inputs were lower, I might have less problems with noise and bubbles over on the skimmer side. The water would have more room to run out of steam, rather than getting another drop right before it dumps into the skimmer section.