PDA

View Full Version : How are the Hagen test kits?

jimrawr
02/07/2007, 08:35 PM
Are the Hagen test kits any good? I hear a lot about salifert kits but they are pretty expensive. Are the Hagens any good or is it really worth it to spend the extra cash on Salifert?

jimrawr
02/07/2007, 08:54 PM
For example how is this right here

http://www.marinedepot.com/md_viewItem.asp?idproduct=HG17860

Indermark
02/07/2007, 09:45 PM
I got the same exact thing and I was dissappointed. Some tests were not very conclusive with results. Alot of it was out of date (i think) because they would not come up with results. I couldn't get results with the the calcium test, iron test, and the phosphate test. I will never buy a hagen test kit again. The pH test was worthless as well. I use Seachem test kit products and really like them alot. I just don't care for the ammonia test they have its kind of a PITA. Salifert is another good brand.

Ryan

zma21
02/07/2007, 10:39 PM
Probably everyone on this board is gonna tell you nothing but salifert. My API does just fine and was halfway cheap. I'd buy another API kit without question.

Gundo5000
02/07/2007, 11:02 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9185831#post9185831 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jimrawr
For example how is this right here

http://www.marinedepot.com/md_viewItem.asp?idproduct=HG17860

I bought that kits years ago and it was worthless. As zma21 said salifert test kits are highly valued on these boards. Go ahead and spend the extra cash on much better tests.

drummereef
02/08/2007, 12:00 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9186797#post9186797 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by zma21
Probably everyone on this board is gonna tell you nothing but salifert. My API does just fine and was halfway cheap. I'd buy another API kit without question.

Well, I guess I'm going to be the first then... :lol: I've owned them all and without a doubt can say that Salifert blows away the others. When you get into Salifert, LaMott, Seachem, etc test kits they are fairly close (ease of use more than anything). But, the difference between the API or Hagen and a quality test kit is apples to oranges. Depends how accurate you really want to see your water quality. For me, it's a priority. ;)

mg426
02/08/2007, 12:00 AM
HAGEN test kits are JUNK !!! So are RED SEA !!!!

Spend the $$$ get Salifert

hans1976
02/08/2007, 06:18 AM
Salifert kits keep getting a bad wrap for being expensive. If you buy one of those so called cheep PH kits(Instant ocean), they will cost you $8 and do 20 tests. Or you can buy a Salifert kit for $9 and get 50 tests.

Although this may be a bad example (I prefer to use a PH meter), but you get the point. Compare on a cost by test!!!!

Also, if you ever have a question about a Salifert test kit, you can go the Salifert forum here on RC. I am not sure where you would go to if you have a question with an Instant Ocean test kit (or any of the other cheep ones).

Salifert Prices (http://www.geocities.com/hans1976/Salifert.html)