PDA

View Full Version : green star polyps

doryarlin955
02/07/2007, 09:11 PM
I just got an awesome gsp colony (it grew over a dead birdsnest coral) on sunday and it hasnt opened yet. Should I be concerned?:confused:

aquarius77
02/08/2007, 02:55 AM
No, I woulld not be concerned at all. I have a nice metallic gsp colony and it closed up for a week when i started to drip kalk. My thoughts on gsp is that it is sensitive to changes in water params. It is not uncommon for them to close up after a move like that, you can move them acrossed the tank and they wil stay closed up for days. Dont sweat it, i bet anything they are fine, its not easy to kill gsp.

sir_dudeguy
02/08/2007, 08:24 AM
I would not be concerned in the very least bit :) This is completely normal for gsp, and all new corals in fact. How did you acclimate it? I've found that drip acclimating corals for a long time seems to make them not even close at all for me.

But i have a fairly good sized gsp colony going now and at one point, i thought it was completely dead. It had been closed for over a month and all the little nubs/dimples that the polyps come out of were gone. It was like a smooth rubbery mat. It was due to a rediculous nitrate spike of over 100 when i was on vacation. I lost a couple other corals due to that (only had 3 in the tank at the time luckily) but the gsp lived through it.

I swear, gsp are like cockroaches ;)

asm481
02/08/2007, 10:33 AM
I had GSP taking over my tank. When I moved my tank I broke chunks of rock off that had GSP wher I didn't want it. Left the rock chunks dry for a couple weeks then added to my basement sump as rubble. Now in the dark I have GSP growing downstairs. You can not kill the stuff. Think I will start putting decent rocks in my sump and sell GSP to every store in the state.

WaterbugJenn
02/08/2007, 10:48 AM
I agree mine took almost a week to open. It only had a 24 polyps, this pic is 5 mo later it is now 5 times the size with more than 100 polyps (too many to count) Give it a couple of days in a medium to low current spot and they should be fine.
http://home.comcast.net/~jennyleep/images/GreenStarPolyps0207.jpg

doryarlin955
02/08/2007, 05:00 PM
Well I did drip acclimate them but during the acclimation the heater was old and just stopped working so the temp went down a few degrees. It killed the xenia but everything else was fine. Im glad to hear its so easy to keep!!! I know this is a little off topic.. but I also got 2 small (about an inch tall) leather frags and they havent opened up either. What would the best conditions for them be? I think all the corals are a little shocked because I have totally different lighting than the tank they were in.

WaterbugJenn
02/08/2007, 05:59 PM
They might be ok. I guess the question now would be what are your tank parameters. Just to be sure. Temp, salinity etc, etc

sir_dudeguy
02/08/2007, 07:02 PM
same thing with the leathers basically. Altho they WILL die if you take them out for a long time unlike gsp lol. But leathers are one of the most picky corals too. Not hard to keep, they just get ticked off at any changes and can stay shut for a long time. Give it a few days IMO.

TonyOrlando
02/09/2007, 02:14 AM
Not to get off the subject, but i also just bought a star polyp. It opened up very nice for the first 2 days i had it and now for the past 2 days its closed. Im not sure if it is closed or what i really think is that my naso tang had a late nite snack and grazed on it. Is this possible for the tang to eat it and if so what to do.
Sorry to ask a question in your thread.

sir_dudeguy
02/09/2007, 07:32 AM
I dont know if naso's will eat gsp, but i do know someone who has a naso w/gsp and as far as i know, they havent had any problems with it.