PDA

View Full Version : Flowerpot coral dying; need help quick!

MikeCentore
02/07/2007, 09:33 PM
I bought my flowerpot coral about one month ago. About one week after being in my tank the outer ring around the coral started to die off. Since it is a nice sized piece I thought it was just from stress. But now it is quickly disintegrating. It is in an area with good water flow. I have it uder Compact Flouresents. Any suggestions???????

jandlms
02/08/2007, 08:11 AM
wrong forum.

JamesJR
02/08/2007, 06:26 PM
I think it is appropriate that you post this in here because Goniopora is very closely related to porites corals. The distinction between sps and lps is very fuzzy and not scientific.

I hate to tell you this Coral but from what it sounds like it may be too late for the coral to recover. I don't know how much research you have done but these corals are not easy to keep and knowldegable, and even expert hobbyists fail with these corals. Here is an excellent resource for keeping Goniopora.

Goniopora.org

Hope it can help you!

Hormigaquatica
02/09/2007, 12:36 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9193305#post9193305 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by JamesJR
I think it is appropriate that you post this in here because Goniopora is very closely related to porites corals. The distinction between sps and lps is very fuzzy and not scientific.

True.. but.. this isnt the SPS forum either.. lol.

Way aside from that though, your Goniopora is doing exactly what most wind up doing in captivity. They look nice for a few weeks or months, then start eroding from the bottom up. Unfortunatly, it is a Very difficult thing to reverse, and most people are unsuccessful with it. goniopora.org is indeed one of the best resources I have seen for these corals.

Have you been feeding the coral on a regular basis? Are there any corals near it- less than say 8" away? Do you have a lot of soft corals in the tank? Ive seen reports that suggest Goniopora has a strong adversion to the toxins given off by many soft corals; you may want to run a good amount of carbon in your system to remove some of those chemicals, if you arent already.

Between the reef hobby and the curio trade, Goniopora is the most collected coral in the world if I remember right, which is unfortunate considering its dismal survival record. Good luck with yours though.

MikeCentore
02/10/2007, 07:53 PM
Thanks for the help

MikeCentore
02/10/2007, 08:06 PM
I feed zooplankton once every other day. Is that enough? Too much? Also, where should this coral be in the tank, on the bottom or near the top?

syrinx
02/10/2007, 11:48 PM
I tend to go bottom with low flow.

jmgpr7
02/11/2007, 12:40 PM
Dip it in Kent Marine Lugol s Solution
directions:
To use as a dip for corals, in a separate bucket add 40 drops Lugol`s Solution to 1 gallon aquarium water, and immerse coral for 10-15 minutes.

jmgpr7
02/11/2007, 12:43 PM
Good Luck because pot are dificult to recover , but its worth a try if you say is a nice piece.....