PDA

View Full Version : Chaeto

Capt. Nemo
02/07/2007, 09:43 PM
Can anyone recommend an online vendor that sells chaeto? Liveaquaira and Seacrop have been out of it for the last month. I would get it from my LFS but they keep fish with their chaeto. Since there are fish in the tank with the macroalgae there's always the chance that there could be ich present and this could then be introduced to my tank via the chaeto. I dont want to go through the trouble of having to quarantine chaeto. Thanks.

Gary

sir_dudeguy
02/07/2007, 09:47 PM
i dont see any reason to buy chaeto when you could just get a free clump of it from any local person who has it.

axia55
02/07/2007, 09:50 PM
Why not check the Livestock For Sale Forums a few boards down, there is always some for sale there.........

FLReefGirl
02/07/2007, 09:58 PM
I just bought some from redsonja here on RC.

Sygnath&Elasmos
02/07/2007, 09:59 PM
I just checked around. It looks like liveaquaira had some. Also extremecorals shows they have some in stock right now. I am not familiar with them as a vendor but they do show some in stock. IMHO I have to agree with sir_dudeguy if you can find a local reef club or even just a local member from RC who is willing to part with such a hardy easy to grow macro I say take them up on it. Besides if you have a decent UV strelizer any imported ich from any macro out of a system with fish should be completely controlable. Hopefully that helps.

Capt. Nemo
02/07/2007, 10:05 PM
Thanks everyone! You guys/girls are great! Yeah, I'm being a little overly cautious about the potential of any ich making it into my tank. Its just that I lost a precious little fish because of ich and I dont want to ever see ich again if I can help it. I probably would like to buy chaeto from someone that had a fishless tank. Syg, what is the other vendor that you refer to that has it in stock? Thanks!

mjm1969
02/08/2007, 07:01 PM
Hi Capt. I get mine from a LFS in Hamilton NJ. $3.00 a bunch. If you are anywhere close I can get you in touch with them. It is raised in a fishless breeder tank.

Capt. Nemo
02/09/2007, 08:33 AM
bump

Shagsbeard
02/09/2007, 09:09 AM
You can QT a cheato ball for 4 weeks easily... don't even need a heater or flow. You're not likely to pick up ich that way anyway, but QT certainly wont hurt the cheato. Give it water from your tank every now and then.

Osmotic Shock
02/09/2007, 09:13 AM
I agree with Shagsbeard. If it comes from a tank with fish i would still QT it.I bought a clump on ebay a few years ago for cheap.You might want to try there.

scowar
02/09/2007, 09:36 AM
Ebay