PDA

View Full Version : biocube 29 heat problem

Monkey55
02/08/2007, 12:48 AM
I j have a 29G biocube. It has a sapphire protein skimmer. Today I added a 1200 maxijet to replace the stock pump. I will add the stock pump back later for a combined flow of 600 gph. But currently I noticed that as soon as I added the maxi jet 1200, my tank temp went to 82 degrees. I opened all the vents on top and the lowest the tanlk temp will go is 81.4, and my heater never even comes on. What can I do to keep the temperature down? When I add the stock pump back, the temp is going to raise even higher.

This is a serious problem. what is the highest temperature I can let my tank rise to before my corals and fish start to get unhappy?

2OceanLovers
02/08/2007, 10:29 AM
The average temp in the ocean ranges from about 82-86 depending on the location relative to the equator. What you need to do is find a way to keep a constant temp in your aquarium as long as it is not above 85 or 86 degrees F. Corals and fish just need a constant temp in the 80 degree range to be happy.

chemistmike
02/08/2007, 12:34 PM
I have the BioCube 29 and had the same problems. I did not upgrade the stock return pump, but I did add a MJ1200 and an MJ900 for increased flow. I saw temperatures get up to 90°F. I ended up buying a chiller, since I did not want to sacrifice the increased flow. Now, I have the tubing for the chiller connected to the MJ1200 for circulation running to the chiller. The only other thing that I could think of to reduce the heat given off, was to install a closed-loop with an external pump, but I did not have the space or the desire for this small of a set-up.

I bought the Current 1/10HP, and am very happy with it.

Isodore
02/08/2007, 06:52 PM
Just a quick guess would be that the new pumps are the cause of the temp spike. I dont know what watts the maxis run at but have heard that some pumps add heat to a system.

sjfishguy
02/09/2007, 09:49 AM
I have an Iceprobe and I think it is awesome. You should look into one.