PDA

View Full Version : Best circulation for behind aquascaping?

joshuasamuels
02/08/2007, 03:24 PM
Hey all,

I am about to set up my tank and want to have some circulation coming from behind my aquascaped LR. Any pump I put back there will be pretty much inaccessible. Short of drilling the tank and installing a closed loop, what is the best way to accomplish that "behind the wall" flow?

I am afraid that if I put a Tunze (or Seio, or whatever) back there, that I will never be able to service it. How do people manage? Should I run some PVC or tubing to handle the flow and put the powerhead somewhere more accessible?

Thanks for the advice.

dougchambers
02/08/2007, 04:12 PM
I know you don't want to drill, but it worked great for us. We have two 2" drains and two 1.5" returns through the bottom of our tank. The returns split into a black PVC Tee with a black 90° or 45° elbow on the ends. The returns help hold the rock up and allow for great flow under the rock structure.

We've used powerheads behind rocks and it works, but you have to be ready to tear down some of the rock work to work on them. I hated the cords dropping into the tank too...

-Doug

joshuasamuels
02/08/2007, 05:00 PM
Your closed loop looks great, but that might be a bit much for my 90 gallon. I certainly cannot drill the bottom, as it is tempered, but I could potentially do the back wall. I'm just too chicken to try it myself for fear of breaking the tank.

jb1972
02/08/2007, 06:19 PM
I use a tunze wavebox in my 125 and it keeps flow all over and even behind rocks. You wouldn't believe the stuff it stirred up when i first set it up.

pjf
02/08/2007, 08:57 PM
Can you use magnet-suspended pumps or propellers? A Vortech propeller held by an external magnet behind the aquascaping might be accessible by pulling up the magnet.

adam1969
02/08/2007, 09:06 PM
hi guys is any body using vortech power heads ? are they good and how many for 215 gal. reef tank.

paulfromero
02/08/2007, 09:47 PM
I use 3 Maxi jets with a Wavemaster Pro controller.

adam1969
02/08/2007, 09:53 PM
maxi jets 1200 and that is plenty of movement

JRoweNole
02/09/2007, 11:06 AM
Although I am going closed loop (not drilled, over the back) on my 92 gallon corner, Maxijets suspended by magnet holders at back sides of tank pointed toward glass to rebound off glass onto back of rocks is what I suggest.