PDA

View Full Version : Pellet Food suggestions?

wshive
02/08/2007, 06:37 PM
I have a semi-aggressive tank with...

Blue-jaw Trigger
Banana Wrasse
Blue-Spotted Grouper
Snowflake Eel
Dog-faced Puffer
Sohal Tang (still to be added)

I was wondering if anyone had suggestions for large sized pellet food for these guys. These guys are all still juveniles, about 3 inches (except the eel, of course). The Wrasse is 4-5 inches.

I've been training them to eat Ocean Nutrition Formula One pellets and they all eat them now but the grouper. I think the pellets are two small for him to want to swallow (I use the medium size, 2mm).

Unfortunately Ocean Nutrtion doesn't seem to make Formula One large size pellets. Anyone have suggestions for a similar type of food that they've used with success? I'm thinking 4mm or possibly even larger.

Kahuna Tuna
02/08/2007, 08:52 PM
I'm feeding the new life spectrum 3mm pellets and have found this food to be excellent and the fish love it. I think thay make a larger size pellet as well.

wshive
02/09/2007, 02:43 AM
Spectrum may be my only option, but I have seen phosphates as an indicated ingredient on at least one type of Spectrum pellets that I've taken a look at.

How are your phosphate levels? Do you have inordinate algae or cyano problems?

I guess having algae is better than not having the right food to feed your fish!

Kahuna Tuna
02/09/2007, 08:07 AM
I was having hair algae problems so I have been running a phosphate remover but according to my salifert kit my phosphates were always pretty low. I attributed my nusiance algae to the tank being new and once I started running RO/DI water it cleared up within a few water change cycles. I have had no problems lately.

jmccown
02/09/2007, 09:15 AM
New life spectrum is great.