PDA

View Full Version : need help

mattiboy21
02/09/2007, 10:15 AM
Ok I set up a 40 gal reef tank like 3 weeks ago all I have right now is about 50 pounds of live rock in it. I have a skimmer that is crap and not working right, I am going to get a new one. I have no room for a sump so Im running a emporor 280 biowheel HOB filter. I was wondering if I should run a Bakpak or a red sea prizim skimmer? I am going to do a couple fish and just a bunch of softies. What is the best set up for me? should I get a emporor 400 or is the 280 enough. Should I get a UV sterilizer or anything else? I dont have alot of money to spend on everything right now but I want the tank to run right. Thanks for the help

Randall_James
02/09/2007, 10:22 AM
IMO, I would steer away from the HOB filters and maybe get a budget coralife HOB skimmer (and they work pretty decent too)

UV not really needed either, get your flow up to 400-600Gph and you should be in pretty good shape.

The rock will function as your filter on its own

mattiboy21
02/09/2007, 10:29 AM
So I should take my HOB filter off and put a skimmer only on it?

Randall_James
02/09/2007, 10:31 AM
That would be my choice. The HOB is good if you need to run carbon or you wanted a mini refuge, but IMO as a filter device, it is just headaches..

mattiboy21
02/09/2007, 10:38 AM
would just a red sea prizim skimmer be ok?

BurntOutReefer
02/09/2007, 10:42 AM
IMO....If you are only doing fish and softies, you can still use your Biowheel. Just clean the wheel at least once a month (dip and clean in the old s/w from one of your weekly ater changes). Softies have a higher tolerance for nitrates then other corals.
People dont use said filetrs due to the fact that they are extremely good at converting ammon/nitrites into nitrate.
You didnt mentions any powerheads, etc for water movement. You can also still use your HOB for that. Take the wheels out, and use carbon, or DIY into a refuge.
And get a good skimmer.

Just IMO.

BurntOutReefer
02/09/2007, 10:45 AM
opps...and on the UV...personally, when I used one, I saw a decline in my coraline........
If you are going heavy on the fish and not on softies, then get one. If other way, then I would pass......

mattiboy21
02/09/2007, 10:45 AM
I have 2 powerheads running. Would it be better to just take the wheel out and just use the carbon filters in it and put a skimmer.

BurntOutReefer
02/09/2007, 10:50 AM
end of day depends on you. How much time do you have for maintenance...?

If not a lot, then dump the biowheels, run the HOB 24/7 (it'll aid in movement and gas exchange)...and maybe use a poly-filter in it once a month to polish your water.....

mattiboy21
02/09/2007, 10:52 AM
How does this sound? Ill dump the bio wheel still run the carbon filters in it, run 2 power heads and run the red sea prizim skimmer? will that be an ideal set up?

BurntOutReefer
02/09/2007, 11:13 AM
should work.