PDA

View Full Version : Canister filter with overflow

skiguy411
02/09/2007, 01:54 PM
I'm thinking about starting a saltwater aquarium and have thought over a couple of designs. I'm very new to the hobby , so I'm not sure if what I want to do will work or if its even necessary. This would be a fish only aquarium with base rock to start.

What I was thinking about doing is cutting a PVC pipe in half and placing it in side my 29 gallon tank (sealed with silicone). The top of the pipe would have groves cut out to act as an overflow. (similar to the tank Travis Stevens did). The water would spill into the pipe and through bio balls(or some other type of media) to help with biological filtration (sort of like a wet/dry filter I suppose). Next the water would trickle down below the balls into a small reservoir where my canister filter(a Rena Filterstar xP1) would pull it up and out of the tank, do its thing, and return the water to the tank.

See my attached picture for clarification.

Would this work or would it not be worth the effort?

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/147793aqrplan_192.jpg

loves saltwater
02/09/2007, 02:19 PM
What type of livestock are you planning on having with this setup?

skiguy411
02/09/2007, 02:30 PM
Haven't really decided. I know I definitely want a clown fish or two, but beyond that I'm open to a lot of things.

I would have liked to have damsels as well but it doesn't look like clown fish and damsels mix too well.

taillonjohn
02/09/2007, 02:59 PM
For a fish only tank it seems logical.... although, why not just get live rock (difference is just a buck or two between live and base rock), then you wouldn't have fuss around with the bio-balls or other bio-media. in time, I'm sure you'll want to go from FO to reef, then you'll be that much closer to that objective as you'll have good live rock

skiguy411
02/09/2007, 07:21 PM
Is there any advantage or purpose having the overflow if I were to get live rock?

skiguy411
02/11/2007, 08:05 PM
btt

zoomfish1
02/11/2007, 08:15 PM
I don't see the need with enough LR. If you do 1-1 1/2 lb per gal you would have all the filtration you would need.

If you plan to have a sump then the overflow would serve a good purpose.