PDA

View Full Version : ph mounting...

thirst
02/09/2007, 05:19 PM
I have a 30" long tank. i've mounted several pumps on one side of the tank. 2 nanostreams and 1 seio 820. I am viewing the tank from the front and the right (where i currently have no pump mounted). Will this be problematic?

rvitko
02/09/2007, 05:30 PM
What is the tank dimensions? I don't fully understand what you are asking. Do you mean a cosmetic problem or stirring up sand or hurting animals? I do think you could probably pick 2 of those pumps but I would need to know more about the inhabitants.

thirst
02/09/2007, 05:57 PM
The dimension is roughly 30x17x20, a barebottom tank. I currently have the powerheads mounted already but was just wondering if anyone had has adverse experience of having all the power heads mounted from one direction. Many people have the devices pointing at each other, while mine currently are all working in concert to essentially create a constant stream of flow in one direction.

I may be hooking these up to a timer so that I can turn of 1 or 2 of the pumps to vary the intensity of the current, but I wonder if this would cause the inhabitants to grow in the direction of the flow.

Would i be better served to forget about aesthetics and just mount a powerhead on the opposit end (it becomes very visible if i do this), for the health of the many soft corals and a few sps that i have.

rvitko
02/09/2007, 06:03 PM
It is a wide tank and yes, the current coming from one direction only will likely cause lopsided growth, it also tends to enchorage the debris to accumulate on the far side from the pumps. I think one pump on each side is the best way to do it. Alternate them every 30 minutes with some overlap to create a surge. That is what I would recommend.

thirst
02/09/2007, 06:13 PM
alright, i will probably pick up a 6045 in the future and mount it on the opposit end.

I like the amount and spread of the flow with 2x6025 and 1xseio820 right now. I am looknig forward to being able to buy the 6045.