PDA

View Full Version : sand question

tndsmith
02/09/2007, 06:17 PM
I am setting up a new tank next week and am confused over the sand thing. Do I need to purchase live sand to cycle the tank faster? I have a 75g that the LFS guy sold me 4 bags for but i found on here that you don't need it. One post I found said that regular sand with a cup of established sand would work. What age is sand considered established ? Would my 75g be a consideration as it has been running for over a month or is that not long enough? Also, what constitutes regular sand? Is that like play sand from somewhere like Lowe's? Finally, how long would the cycle process be if I used just the small amount of live sand with regular sand ? I hate asking stupid questions over and over but considering the price for live sand over regular sand makes me want to know from people a lot more knowledgale than myself. Y'all are the best for being patient with someone loaded with dumb questions.

loves saltwater
02/09/2007, 06:28 PM
Live Sand is just a money grab for the LFS IMO. You can dojust as good with live rock and a cup of sand from a LFS or fellow reefer