PDA

View Full Version : Leather coral

Fireworm
02/09/2007, 08:38 PM
I have two leather corals in my 29. Both are small frags, the big one is only about 2" when fully expanded. Today when I got up and looked at the tank they were both shrunken and laying over. The big one still head great color but the little one had color loss. They are on opposite ends of the tank. Is ther something else that I need to do special?

sir_dudeguy
02/09/2007, 10:19 PM
first thing to do is test and post the params.

Nitrates
SG
temp
pH
etc...

But i've got 5 leathers in my 40, and its not at all uncommon for one of them to close up and look crappy for a day or so. Who knows, it might even be shedding. I got a devils hand (i think) that sheds about once a week and looks cruddy the last couple days. Then it sheds and is bigger.

Fireworm
02/10/2007, 12:17 AM
All my basics are fine. My temp stays about 85 day and night. I don't have a calcium or magnesium test kit though. I know have to get one soo because I want to start doing some sps stuff real soon.

sir_dudeguy
02/10/2007, 09:21 AM
My temp stays about 85 day and night

how long has it been 85? If its been a long time, i'm surprised that you havent lost anything yet. That temp needs to come down to the very most 82, but i like staying at 80 so i have some leeway.

Is that what your heater is set to or what? If not, then i would suggest getting a small clip on fan from walmart or wherever. They work wonders for me. Just point it so that its blowing across the surface of the tank. And if you have any lids on the tank (that completely seal it except for maybe a gap for cords) take it off.

Fireworm
02/10/2007, 06:50 PM
My temp has been there for some time now. I only have my heater to keep it same temp at night. I have nothing on top of my tank excdept for egg crate. Ihave two fans to help keep my light cool, but nothing directly pointing at the water. I will have to try that.

sir_dudeguy
02/11/2007, 11:05 AM
I will have to try that.

no, not have to "try" that....you have to DO that :) regardless of how long its been that high, 85 is not good for the tank.

barron
02/11/2007, 11:25 AM
You can start with a partial water change. Many test kits are not reliable and those strips are worthless. High tem with anything out of whack in your parameters will stress the coral.

RokleM
02/11/2007, 11:37 AM
Your temp is definitely a problem. Some simple fans can drop that quickly. As well, I didn't see one of the most important parameters to leathers listed, ALK. Leathers seem to HATE low ALK.

Fireworm
02/11/2007, 09:13 PM
I don't have an ALK test kit yet. Sounds like I need to get one sooner than I planned. Will the fan blowing right on the water really lower the temp that much?

RokleM
02/12/2007, 05:55 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9217788#post9217788 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Fireworm
I don't have an ALK test kit yet. Sounds like I need to get one sooner than I planned. Will the fan blowing right on the water really lower the temp that much?

It will indeed. It will also increase evaporation, so keep an eye on that if you don't have some sort of auto topoff device.

sir_dudeguy
02/12/2007, 08:43 AM
yes the fan will make water evap faster, which makes water cool down. Its like when you sweat and a breeze comes by, you feel cooler...same thing. I encourage evap, i dont look down on it. Its a good thing in my book if it keeps my tank cooler (seeing as i'm in AZ and my tank can get to 90 in the summer w/no problems :)