PDA

View Full Version : Hole in my acan? Immediate replies please

2ndThief
02/09/2007, 08:52 PM
What is this hole in one of my acan polyps? I'm concerned

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c343/perrydoyle/acan-1.jpg

grisha
02/09/2007, 09:46 PM
i had a single micro polyp from shipping which came with the same thing. it never recovered.

RokleM
02/09/2007, 10:49 PM
Looks like the tissue is receding on that one (and obviously you've lost a few already), sorry. Check all your parameters.

2ndThief
02/09/2007, 10:51 PM
actually the lost polyps were already gone when I got the frag

RokleM
02/09/2007, 11:01 PM
Not uncommon from shipping or poor fragging.

Is it new? Do the polyps swell and feed? Does any of the tissue appear "loose" on the rock?

rpisces
02/09/2007, 11:22 PM
No problem if your water quality is good. Acans are very hardy.

I have a colony which is barren in the centre of the rock like a doughnut. The colony recovered to cover back the whole rock.

I also have a piece which I split into 2. One half starts to rot and lost a third of its polyps but have since recovered back.

ghostman
02/10/2007, 08:50 AM
I wouldn't worry. Feed it a little to make sure it can recover. That side was obviously damaged before you got it, and now it is showing it. If there is continued recession, post parameters to see if something else could be wrong.

2ndThief
02/10/2007, 09:40 AM
tahnks for all of your replies, I actually feed them about twice to three times a week and all of the polyps (including the two tiny ones that are starting to grow over the dead spots) extend their feeding tentacles and take in a decent amount of mysis shrimp. I've had it for at least a month and it has always swelled very healthily so it just caught me off guard.

RokleM
02/10/2007, 09:50 AM
Yeah, it sounds like it's doing very well and this is just a fluke. Keep up the feedings, and I'd add a little cylopeeze to the dose as well.

reefensis
02/10/2007, 10:37 AM
I had the same problem with my acan when I got it. It seems to be caused by undigested food in my opinion (It ingested the food for couple days but food was still inside rotten). I blasted the sick polyps with a turkey blaster and all food I fed was still inside. So I remove the sick polyp with a paring knife (not fragging) to prevent detritus accumulation. The colony is ok now.