PDA

View Full Version : Toadstool in distress

rickh
02/10/2007, 12:49 PM
I have a toadstool that has grown from a 4" stalk- 4" head to a monster with a 8" stalk-8" head. I have always just jambed the stalk in the sand bed, but lately it keeps working it's way out. I currently have about 1/2 the length in the sand. The stalk is curved and slightly damaged.

1. Should I try to get the coral to attach it to a rock or is sand bed life OK??
2. Can I cut several inches off the stock without killing it?? It's getting too big for my tank!!

Thanks. R

45commando
02/10/2007, 06:51 PM
Hi,I would definately try & place it/secure it to some LR & let it attach.Placing it in the sand could lead to problems at some point,due to lack of oxygen,flow etc.If you give it time to attach to some rock,that is part way up the stalk,then once attached,you can cut the stalk behind the area of attachment.This will make the coral shorter for you & if you then secure the free piece of stalk,it will eventually start to regrow polyps & you'll have a second toadstool for trade.If you do go this route,try & do the cutting out of the tank,as these corals can produce a bunch of chemicals when cut,that may affect the rest of your tank.Hope this makes sense?

rickh
02/11/2007, 11:45 PM
Thanks for the help.R