PDA

View Full Version : Total n00b question

tfleming09
02/10/2007, 01:08 PM
Hey guys,

I've been lurking around here for a while, and I've been picking my local aquarium store's brain as I'm looking to do my first saltwater setup. I think I have a lot of it figured out, but there's one question that sort of stumps me.

Please don't laugh.

In larger tanks, how do you fill them with water? For example, I have a 20G freshwater and when I filled it I just used a gallon jug and tapwater and then used a solution to neutralize the pH. How do you go about filling a large aquarium?

littlemannin
02/10/2007, 01:12 PM
5 gallon buckets

tfleming09
02/10/2007, 01:19 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9207331#post9207331 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by littlemannin
5 gallon buckets

Far enough, and then mix the salt before pouring it in, correct?

xenon
02/10/2007, 01:21 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9207314#post9207314 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by tfleming09
Hey guys,

I've been lurking around here for a while, and I've been picking my local aquarium store's brain as I'm looking to do my first saltwater setup. I think I have a lot of it figured out, but there's one question that sort of stumps me.

Please don't laugh.

In larger tanks, how do you fill them with water? For example, I have a 20G freshwater and when I filled it I just used a gallon jug and tapwater and then used a solution to neutralize the pH. How do you go about filling a large aquarium?

Don't even bother getting into the hobby without an RODI system.

I use 5g buckets and dump it into my sump, then turn my return pump on in the sump and it pumps it into my display tank. :)

shag26272
02/10/2007, 01:22 PM
I agree , dont use tapwater, you will be wasting your time

tfleming09
02/10/2007, 01:29 PM
Where would one install a reverse osmosis system?

gillianandjoe
02/10/2007, 01:33 PM
There are a lot of no-tapwater fanatics on here, but depending on where your water comes from, and what you intend to keep, it may be fine. I think, "don't even get into this hobby without an RODI unit" is a little harsh. RO DI water is best, but my tank is fine not using it. My nitrates run a little high, but for my corals and fish, I have seen no issues. I will say if you use tapwater, get a good water conditioner, preferably without the 'slime replacer' or aloe, they tend to keep microbubbles around for a while.

Shagsbeard
02/10/2007, 01:40 PM
Tap is a crap shoot. One day it can be fine, the next day, they add some chemical to it that is good for us, but knocks out our fish. Don't trust it... even if it's "good".

You can install a RO/DI unit in your garage. Most will T off your washing machine.

I have a ladder that I pull out to put my water jugs on and siphon it into the tank. The first time, you can just dump it in and mix the salt in right in your tank (no sand/rock yet). Remember to leave some volume for the rock and sand.

tfleming09
02/10/2007, 01:42 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9207511#post9207511 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Shagsbeard
Tap is a crap shoot. One day it can be fine, the next day, they add some chemical to it that is good for us, but knocks out our fish. Don't trust it... even if it's "good".

You can install a RO/DI unit in your garage. Most will T off your washing machine.

I have a ladder that I pull out to put my water jugs on and siphon it into the tank. The first time, you can just dump it in and mix the salt in right in your tank (no sand/rock yet). Remember to leave some volume for the rock and sand.

No garage. It's a second story apartment.

Mariner
02/10/2007, 01:53 PM
No garage. It's a second story apartment.

LOL, not likely your landlord would take to kindly to you tapping into the washing machine line in your apartment complex.

You could do what I do and get your water from an RO water dispenser at a grocery store -- 33 cents per gallon. In our area, all the Walmart's have these RO water dispensers maintained by Culligan. I've tested the water many times with a TDS meter, and it is always quite good, although not usually AS GOOD as you can get with a home RO/DI system.

Also, the only time you'd want to mix your saltwater in a tank is when the tank has nothing else in it. Otherwise, mix it in a rubbermaid tub, and get the temp and salinity right before adding to your tank.
HTH,
Mariner

Mariner
02/10/2007, 01:56 PM
Oh, and to your inititial question about how to fill a tank -- I use a 3 gallon bucket; but if you want to save your back, you could put a powerhead or pump in your mixing tub, run tubing to your tank, and fill it that way.
Mariner

rush07
02/10/2007, 02:01 PM
I won't claim that this is as good as an RO/DI unit, but until I can get one it has worked well for me. My tap water is very high in Copper and Phosphates. This unit removes 100% of both. You can hook it up to you faucet. The key is to run it slow, no more than a couple of gallons per hour. If you run it faster, it still seems to remove the phosphates but some copper gets through.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=4484&N=2004+113775

virginiadiver69
02/10/2007, 02:02 PM
RO units can be had for $124 at filterguys.net Barring that I would check out your LFS, they probably sell RO water. You can tote your water from them in 5 gal buckets. This is a great hobby and it does not have to be expensive but there are just some short cuts that are not worth it.

shag26272
02/10/2007, 02:02 PM
it wont mess up the washer machine, just use a splitter like you use for a garden hose

virginiadiver69
02/10/2007, 02:08 PM
I posted this before I saw that you live in an apartment. Check your LFS. I didn't know walmart did RO water! That's awsome.

spence0416
02/10/2007, 02:43 PM
I've been fine with tap for the last two years, and you can take that for what it's worth. All I add is salt...no conditioners or treatments. I just let it mix for 24 hours before using it.

Had some algae problems, but never any trouble keeping fish (fresh water for about 6 or 7 years). Again it depends on your local water supply but it's not always necessary for an RO DI

mk820
02/10/2007, 10:39 PM
We just get RO water from our LFS, we mix the RO with Oceanic salt mix in a 30 gallon garbage can, drop in a heater and a powerhead and the next day you are good to go.

To initially fill the tank we buy the saltwater from our LFS, ours offers Ocean and mixed saltwater. We use 5 gallon water jugs which we also purchased at the same store.

gbtrain
02/10/2007, 10:56 PM
You could also just but the fitting and hook up RO/DI unit to the kitchen or bathroom sink.

When I do a water change, I use a water pump to pump the water out of my 40g mixing can. On daily top offs I have 50g can I store RO/DI water in and just use a 1g jug

gbtrain
02/10/2007, 10:59 PM
That should be just "BUY" the fitting. lol

emoore
02/11/2007, 12:07 AM
You can also try a water store. I live in an apartment and get RO water from a water store for 20 cents a gallon. They have a TDS meter at the store that constantly monitors the water. The TDS averages 3. I also test the water sometimes with my own TDS meter and it agrees with the store. Anyway check out a water store and get a couple of 5 gallon water containers. The only drawback is lugging 10 gallons of water to my second floor apartment but it is not that bad.