PDA

View Full Version : My GF Woulden't let me buy a 3g Tank, But I'm Happy Becasue of it

tprize
02/10/2007, 07:44 PM
Well after driving around looking at tanks, I almost bought a 3G Pico tank. But my Girlfriend said NO! I was a little taken back by that because it's my money and she never sais no. After giving her a flabbergasted look, she said if I buy nothing for salt water tanks till my B Day on July 23 she would get me a 70G Bow front oceanic Predrilled tank. I am beside myself. The largest tank I have ever had was a 55G. I have never heard such awesome news! Now I am planning on what lights to get T-5's probably to keep heat down. A nice refugium, but I haven't come up with a skimmer yet. This is great news. So has anyone else had this type of great news before?

Cosmo^Kramer
02/10/2007, 07:52 PM
No but be real good to her on valentines days :) I'm sure others will have other suggestions on the skimmer,but I love Euro reefs.I've had reef devils,Deltecs,remoras,CPR backpac and Euro reefs.For ease of use and excellent skimming I like the ER,set it and forget it.Hope this helps.

tprize
02/10/2007, 08:06 PM
HAHA I went out and got her a Tanzanight Necklace, What T5 or T12 Lights are good for SPS. All in one unit preferred.

edwing206
02/10/2007, 08:16 PM
i don't think that t12's are high output so for t5 i have heard that quatinics are very good t5 fixtures.

edwing206
02/10/2007, 08:17 PM
http://www.aquactinics.com/pages/TX5.html
here is the site.

tprize
02/10/2007, 09:17 PM
Very nice, maybe I will pay the extra to get the 90G!

Poorcollegereef
02/10/2007, 09:35 PM
hahaha, nice... shesh I would not have enough patience and my Bday is in June! My gf has a strict no fish policy, does not by me anything aqua related but, over Christmas we traded. I got a EuroReef and she got 3 credits in a community college. She wanted to learn sign language so I signed her up and then guilted her into the ER. Funny thing is that she has never paid for college, finshed first at my UG college, Mary Wash, and is now enrolled in CC and I have a nioce skimmer!

Anyways, I have already bought a diamond and it is getting set, so I put off my 75 gal purchase, but I am going to "happen" to by a new tank right when we move into our new place. (Evil laugh!)

atzak
02/10/2007, 09:39 PM
You tell that ungrateful ^%$#@ " nothing smaller than a 90 gallon or she's out on hear ear

just kidding, sweet deal

tprize
02/10/2007, 09:42 PM
YA haha that's why I'm so excited about here buying it, I plan on throwing down about 6k for a ring soon. I am putting a lot into this girl, but any girl who wants to buy me a RR fish tank just as a B day gift has to be worth keeping.

xtm
02/10/2007, 11:03 PM
That's good that she appreciates your hobby.

When I bought my 60 cube, my wife got extremely upset and we had a huge fight about it. It turns out she wanted a bigger tank like a 300 gal.. LMAO. Too bad I can't afford those kind of tanks:D

Poorcollegereef
02/10/2007, 11:10 PM
Reefkeepers guild to keeping the common girlfriend (feministcutest signifcantus)

Pick a healthy and aware specimine, preferably tank raised. Avoid ones with excessive flashing or are not swimming normally. Never pay too much! Keep the in quaretine for atleast a few weeks to make sure she is eating and will not show any ill signs once placed in the display tank.
Just make sure you acclimate her when you get your tank. Keep her in the bag, foating for 15mins to half hour, then run a drip line down. Keep the lights off and then slowly increase the photo period. After that, some photoplankton is all that required. They prefere warmer temperatures 75-85 degrees and will show signs of distress if conditions are not kept up. They are best if housed by themsleves, two or more leads into some serious fights. In addition, keeping the common girlfriend is a long term commitment which includes many additional chores, so proper planning is reqired and upgrades in tank conditions might be needed in the future. Finally patience is the most useful tool, and additive that will solve almost any emergency or problem.

Finally, keep away from small children!

This keeping method also works with species (fiancabridus proposus) and (spouctis balluschainus)

Mr D smack
02/10/2007, 11:12 PM
My wife fought me on setting up a 75 gal for a long time. After she let me set it and was running for a year I went to a guys house, he was selling everything, to look at some fish. She came off with just buy the whole thing. WOOHOO. A 225 gal. Now she has bought a 120 for herself and Im in the middle of putting it tohether. MY wife is the BOMB.:D

Sk8r
02/10/2007, 11:49 PM
I have a 52 bow, and the arc shape has some advantages: you can bounce flow off that curved front. Mind, it's a little difficult to reach the bottom of for glass-cleaning, and if a fish gets into the downflow, you have to take the hose off from below to extract the little blighter, but a predrilled corner tank is a gem, for sure, and I'm glad I got mine. Just make sure you lean into it and test your arm length before committing to mega-tank!

tprize
02/10/2007, 11:53 PM
HAHA I never thought of that.. "Hmm I'm not sure if this is the tank for me reach ohh ok yup this is fine"